beer taste alright, but smells like crap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
at the 3 week mark now, Opened up one and wow, the smell is so bad I couldnt even put it in my mouth, I had to plug my nose just to drink it ...

its a maple syrup beer with honey.... so I kinda thought its probably going to take longer to ferment anyways...

have you guys ever made a beer like this? does it even out eventually or is it going to smell bad for a while?

Maple is nasty without any sugar, under the best conditions. If the "crap" you are smelling is sulfur, you'll have to open all the bottles and let them de-gas, the re-prime and cap.

I've drank a maple syrup beer from a brew pub not too long ago and it smelled like cat piss. Maybe it's the "style"?

I've drank a maple syrup beer from a brew pub not too long ago and it smelled like cat piss. Maybe it's the "style"?

i'm all out for trying new things, but something that smelled like crap or cat piss scares me :D you guys are hard core:mug:

Back