Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer to sweet, also no carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #1
Bhen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer to sweet, also no carbonation

So i realize that no carbonation in my bottles and overly sweet means that the bottles never carbonated and the yeast never ate up the sugars. The temperature in my basement was way to low over the pats 3-5 weeks for my beer to carb in the bottles. I've already taken them out and put them somewhere warmer and i'll roll them on their sides for a bit as well.

If that doesn't work, i'm going to open the bottles and drop a few grains of yeast in each bottle.

Sound about right?

But what if it doesn't carbonate? Can i pour the beer into a keg, or syphon it or something and force carb?. I've read in other posts that oxidation will occur and that it'll ruin the beer. But if its forced carbed and drank that day will it matter?

Lastly, i feel the beer was just way to sweet beyond that. I made a honey wheat recipe with 6.6 pounds of wheat extract and between .5 - .75lbs honey malt... Thinking back i probably should have also added some actual wheat to the recipe.

Is there something i can do to counteract this? Could i add a hop pellet per bottle along with the pellets of yeast i'm adding (assuming my beer doesn't carbonate after warming up/rolling) to try and overcome the sweetness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You should be fine if you bring them up into the warmth for a couple weeks. ZYou've just had the yeast too cool to be active. I betcha you'll be fine in a couple weeks and won't need to do anything.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply