Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer to strong and you can taste the alcohol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #11
chumpsteak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
I don't think so,ime. It had to get up around 80F before I got fusels in my 1st batch. But sitting in primary & a few weeks in bottles at cooler temps fixed it.
My first 2 all grain batches had massive fusels from fermenting in a 68 degree room. Both were over 7% alcohol, so they most likely hit mid 70's during full fermentation. They were in primary for 3 weeks and have been in bottles for 5 months. The hot alcohol taste is still just as nasty today as it was when bottled.

I'm afraid the OP may have fusels if he didn't control temps and keep them below 70.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 05:16 AM   #12
moose123
Recipes 

I am a punk cheesydemon. I'm quickly learning I have so much to learn about brewing and respecting the craft of being a good home brewer. The yeast was a dry English ale I got it dropped to 68 we shall see.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Seriously, WHAT THE HELL???????

*bastard, dropping like that......geeez*

......Probably, (to answer your question) hot at any point during fermentation will have an effect, and doesn't every brew drop back down in temp later?

My basement floor (concrete) is perfect year round for keeping temps down.
I depends too on when the temp was increased - if it was during the active portion of fermentation then yes, most strains (though not all) will produce hot alcohols. However, it is OK, and in some cases desirable, to increase the temp as fermentation winds down to help the yeast with the final push. After fermentation is complete, increasing the temp won't really affect any yeast-derived compounds (though it will increase beer aging/staling).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose123 View Post
I am a punk cheesydemon. I'm quickly learning I have so much to learn about brewing and respecting the craft of being a good home brewer. The yeast was a dry English ale I got it dropped to 68 we shall see.
When you say you "got it dropped to 68" - was this the air temp or the wort temp? I guess either way once you pitch the yeast you should expect at least a few degrees rise in temp from fermentation activity - sometimes as much as 5-8 degrees F depending on how active the fermentation is. If you can get the wort cooled down further, you'll be in better shape.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Agree.
First three or four days is critical, and the beer temp and ambient temp can be vastly different, unless you use the water-bath method. In a water bath, the wort temp is closer to the bath temp, especially if you circulate the bath with a pond pump or something like that.

Before I did good temp control, I actually measured a 10F rise in the wort over the "ambient' - which is what got me focused on temp control.

HUGE difference in my beers. Now they're in a controlled bath, at 63F-65F. Always.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #15
moose123
Recipes 

My air temp is around 63-64 degrees cause it is in my basement pretty much year around. When i said 68 I was talking about the wort temp. It started fermentation within about 12 hours but once it started it did increase about 7 degrees. Regardless i have been fermenting to warm for a long time now so thank you!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
zappadragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the info I will let it hang in the bottles for a bit longer and see if that helps. In the mean time I will start my next batch.

Quick Reply