Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Status and a couple questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
MississippiSlim
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Beer Status and a couple questions.

So Last Friday when I checked my fermenter the SP Gravity was 1.020 @ 65d. The OG was 1.052. This is a Nut Brown Ale Extract kit beer. I took it out of the ferment chamber and have it in my closet at around 68-70. It had started to bubble again when I left (I work offshore 7 on/7 off). I am hoping when I get home Thursday or Friday it will be okay and ready to bottle (total of 28 days). What do yall think?

Presently in the Fermenter is a Fat Tire Clone. I fogot to take an OG.... Fermenting at 65d.

Not sure why my first brew had not come down furthur gravity wise after 14 days but hopefully all will be well.

Oh, the Nut brown tasted like flat beer out of the fermenter and didnt have anything ugly growing on it! YAY!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

65F is a little chilly for most ale yeasts, so it'll take longer to ferment. Definitely don't rack it to secondary or try to bottle it until its at the estimated final gravity. 1.020 would be enough to create bottle bombs.

that said, bringing it up to 70F for a week will likely drop it down to the range where it should be done (just guessing but I'd say 1.014 for a final gravity).

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
MississippiSlim
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yeah I am aiming for around 1.014. Not sure on the Amber since I didnt take an OG (no more beers on brew day! LOL) I may need to start fermenting around 68 or so. Took advice of another brewer but I think he uses different yeast than I have been using. I am sure it all will be fine and plan on bottling the brown next week when I get in. Who knows, I might bottle the amber if it has finished fermenting and had a a few days to clean up. It will have been in the fermenter 14 days on Friday or do like I did the brown and let it sit for another 10-14 days. We will see.

Quick Reply