Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer seems too light

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
kevinlassen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default beer seems too light

so i made a coffee porter a a few weeks ago and bottled it on the 22 of december. when i made it i cracked coffee beans and soaked them in whiskey for a week and added them to my secondary when i racked it over. aslo, i made the a cold brew coffee with half water and half whiskey and used that when i mixed up my priming sugar, instead of just using water. i let it in the basement, where is about 60 degrees and held a few bottles up in the kitchen, so they would carbonate a little faster.
i opened one yesterday, great head and smell. the flavor was a little lighter that i was expecting for adding as much coffee as i did. (4oz at secondary and 5 at bottling). it starts off with a nice coffee, smokey flavor. the mouthfeel is very light, not much body or viscosity. im not sure if thats due to the whiskey and water that was used to make the additional coffee. i wouldnt think it would make it too "wAtered down" considering you use water to mix with the sugar normally.
should i have let it sit in the secondary longer, to kinda help it "reduce/evaporate" and be more concentrated?
will aging it in bottles help it?

thank's y'all

cheers

also, it had abv of 6 percent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 83 Posts

In a little confused as to what flavor is too light. The coffee doesn't really increase the body of the beer but should lend a subtle hint of roasted/burnt goodness to the beer. I'd have to check my recipes but I think I usually use about half a pound of coffee, cold brewed with water per 5 gallon batch so your volume is about right. What was your porter recipe? I think your answer lies there

Old 01-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
kevinlassen
Recipes 

I guess what I ment was after you swallow the beer it had a bit of watered down mouthfeel/texture. I'm pleased with the overall flavor. Just not the viscosity of it.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How much whiskey did you use? A little goes a long way there. Also, I've found you can get just as good a coffee flavor with grains. That won't impact the recipe in a way you have trouble predicting and compensating for. I make a mocha porter that uses no coffee or chocolate additions but still has the flavors. I could easily adjust the recipe to be a coffee porter.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Please post your grain bill / recipe. I'm willing to bet we'll find the answer there.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
Golddiggie Likes This 
Old 01-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
kevinlassen
Recipes 

image-346816146.jpg

Old 01-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Ricochetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

I make a coffee porter in almost the same way you described including the whiskey and crushed coffee beans. However, I do not use any actual brewed coffee for flavoring at all. As someone already stated it is likely that it is your grains not your coffee that lessens the mouth feel. Additionally the use of chocolate malt can give a very nice coffee aroma without the use of coffee beans. Most who try my porter without the addition of whiskey or beans note the coffee aroma right off. In fact most people preferred the porter that did not include whiskey or coffee. Check your grain bill and you may find a way to increase mouth feel and body with a slight tweak to your recipe.
Lastly I have not personally found that bottle aging Increases mouthfeel. In my experience it can actually do the opposite. However I do not claim to be an expert in this area at all.
Let us know how the next brew goes!
Ryan Davis.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

How long has it been bottled? At what temperature were the bottles? How long did you chill one before pouring into a room temp glass?

Correct bottle carbonating is 3+ weeks at 70F followed by 5-7 days in the fridge. I would start there then see how it is.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Well, your grain bill actually looks pretty good. I don't really see any problems there and your OG being a little over the usual range means that you probably got better efficiency than normal or more unfermentables in the wort from soaking the grains a little on the warm side prior to the boil. Both would actually add malt sweetness and mouth feel.

That being said, the beer is a porter. From what I can guess, the additional water/alcohol from the whiskey soaked beans may have indeed thinned the mix.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
kevinlassen
Recipes 

Thank you for the advice and tips.

It was bottled on the 22nd of December. It was never put in the cooler. I drank it from room temp in a room temp glass. My kitchen is about 68 degrees.

Quick Reply