Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Ruined

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
mudhen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Ruined

So disappointed. I had brewed an Extra Pale Ale that I had purchased from Northern Brewer. This was the second recipe kit I had made and it turned out to be a disaster. I followed the recipe precisely and followed all suggestions from John Palmer, just like I did the first time when it turned out great. The beer tastes like really sour apple juice, almost vinegary. Everything was sanitized and I made exposure to oxygen was kept to a minimum. I'm stumped. What could have happened?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

im pretty new to this but from what ive read any type of sour or vinegar taste indicates some type of infection.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear that...I just kicked a keg of that kit, and it was probably the best beer I ever made.

I'm guessing that you got a sneaky infection in there somehow...sometimes the bottling process is the culprit due to improper sanitation of the valve or the hose or the bottling wand.

Did it taste OK before you bottled it? Did the fermentation process appear to go normally?

You might try sending an email to NB describing your situation and ask for their help. They might give you another kit or a partial credit. They are a really great outfit.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Old 04-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Sounds like an acetobacter infection.

I had one on a stout that I made a year or so ago. It was fantastic up until I bottled. I had learned patience by that point and managed to wait three weeks before cracking one. Ugh. Terrible. I put it down to not sanitizing my bucket spigot adequately, but could have happened at any step.

For me, the lesson was to be beyond-anal with sanitation and I turned to StarSan or SaniClean as my two go-to sanitizers. Haven't had a bad batch since. In times like this - infections, bad batches, bad brewdays - I sit down with Palmer's book and HBTs forums, and review my process. We all get a bit complacent sometimes and thinking about how we do things well carries us beyond the dark times.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I went through a hideous runner runner series of infections - 5 total and it was all on the bottling side. Bucket spigots was one culprit - the ones with the red handle are a bugger to clean. I replaced hoses and spigots, wand, auto syphone and FINALLY, last of all, replaced the bucket which looked 100% smooth.

It was the bucket.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
George7845
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Woah not cool

I read how a scratch in the bucket can ruin your batch? Jeez i used a soft sponge one side, and semi rough on the other. Like the light green soft in, then the rough 1/4 inch rough surface, is that a bad sponge to use? I would just be heart broken if my cider went bad!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
bosox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's why it's best to use glass carboys

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Christmas Ale
Conditioning: Nothing
On Deck: Oktoberfest/Summer Ale
In The Garden: 2nd year Cascades

Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by George7845 View Post
I read how a scratch in the bucket can ruin your batch? Jeez i used a soft sponge one side, and semi rough on the other. Like the light green soft in, then the rough 1/4 inch rough surface, is that a bad sponge to use? I would just be heart broken if my cider went bad!
any sponge with a "side" to it is bad for bottling buckets. If it needs scrubbing, soak it with Oxyclean first. Then it will come out nice and clean, no scrubbing needed.

Fingers crossed for your cider -

Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
boog321
Recipes 

It also seems that just soaking in warm water does quite well too. I tried it after my last batch, and all of the crud from the krausen came right off, no scrubbing needed.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
pkeeler
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An apple cidery taste could be from stale extract or too much sugar in the recipe or at bottling. Did the kit have a date on it? Hard to believe anything sits around on a shelf at places like Northern Brewer. Did you open the extract and leave it sitting around?

BTW, you should not even use the green scrubby side on plastic. Get the bucket soaking in detergent as soon as you are done with it. It should not be hard to get anything beer related off with just the sponge.

Quick Reply