Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer not fermenting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
WillKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default beer not fermenting

This is only my second batch that I have done, so I'm still very new to home brewing. My question- I brewed a smoked Porter 4 days ago and there has been little to no activity in the airlock, I tired to stir the yeast back into suspension yesterday and still no activity. Do I need to pitch more yeast or let it sit for a little while? If I do need to pitch more yeast, so I need to rack it off of the original yeast cake?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #2
aarong
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The airlock is not a good indicator of fermentation. Take a hydrometer sample to see where you are at. If it is around 2/3 of your og in about a week you'll be fine.

Fermenting: Tripel
Keg: empty
Bottle: empty
Vissani fermentor build

Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #3
WillKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The only problem with that is I didn't get to do an original gravity because my wife dropped my hydrometer a few days before I brewed and my new one wasn't in yet. Is there anything else I can do?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #4
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

so repitch if you feel like wasting money, if you have a yeast cake at the bottom and you didn't originally pitch on to one then there has been activity

Kegged empty

Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
WillKing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would repitching be a bad idea just to make sure?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
CityOChampBrew
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 45

if you want to waste money go for it..

what did you start with yeastwise... a package of dry? a vial of wet?
and you see more than what you pitched at the bottom of the fermenter??

Kegged empty

Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If this is an extract batch, post the recipe and we can calculate the OG

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKing View Post
The only problem with that is I didn't get to do an original gravity because my wife dropped my hydrometer a few days before I brewed and my new one wasn't in yet. Is there anything else I can do?
If you have the new hydrometer now, you can take a reading. If it is close to your expected OG then you didn't get any fermentation. If it is close to, or considerably lower than, your expected FG then you got fermentation.

No need to pitch any more yeast until you know whether you had fermentation and there is no way to really know that without a hydrometer. You could also pop open the lid and look for a nice krausen - this would indicate that everything was fine (though can't tell you how far along you are)

My Beer Cellar

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What are you fermenting in? Is it a PVC bucket, or glass carboy? The reason I ask this is because I'm fermenting in a bucket for my first time, and honestly I don't know how people do it as you can't see inside to get a better feel for what's going on. I have a batch of imperial nut brow ale in the ale pale, and it only bubbled in the air lock for 24 hours then stopped dead. After doing a bit of research I have come to discover that many of the ale pale style of fermenters don't hold the gas well, and leak from the rim seal making it look like fermentation has stalled, however this is most likely not the case as fermentation is still underway, it's just that the gas is escaping from the lid. I haven't peaked inside the bucket yet, but will wait a couple weeks just to insure that fermentation is complete. I will never ferment in a bucket again due to this....glass carbons only for me.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

flars Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasta View Post
What are you fermenting in? Is it a PVC bucket, or glass carboy? The reason I ask this is because I'm fermenting in a bucket for my first time, and honestly I don't know how people do it as you can't see inside to get a better feel for what's going on. I have a batch of imperial nut brow ale in the ale pale, and it only bubbled in the air lock for 24 hours then stopped dead. After doing a bit of research I have come to discover that many of the ale pale style of fermenters don't hold the gas well, and leak from the rim seal making it look like fermentation has stalled, however this is most likely not the case as fermentation is still underway, it's just that the gas is escaping from the lid. I haven't peaked inside the bucket yet, but will wait a couple weeks just to insure that fermentation is complete. I will never ferment in a bucket again due to this....glass carbons only for me.
There is no danger in opening the lid and looking inside. I do it ALL the time. In fact, I begin all my fermentations with the lid just placed gently on top of the bucket - I don't lock it down. I let it go 3 days or so like this so I can keep an eye on things easily - it is very reassuring to actually see the krausen. Once a few days have passed and I am sure everything is proceeding well, I lock the lid down and let it go for another couple of weeks.

My Beer Cellar

Quick Reply