Beer not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QsnotPs

Reaction score
I have a lager fermenting, I put it in the cooler 2 days ago, it is not fermenting, or at least not bubbling.
The temperature is a 47, not 50 like specified on the yeast package.

When I hydrated the yeast, i let it sit for 30 minutes instead of 10.

any thoughts?

lagers usually take a few days to start bubbling at that temp. rest easy for another couple days. it's probably doing it's thing

QsnotPs said:
I have a lager fermenting, I put it in the cooler 2 days ago, it is not fermenting, or at least not bubbling.
The temperature is a 47, not 50 like specified on the yeast package.

When I hydrated the yeast, i let it sit for 30 minutes instead of 10.

any thoughts?

Wait for it. Go grab a beer and forget about it for a few days - magic will happen...

How many packages of yeast did you use? Ideally, you'd have used two 11 gram packages. If not, that will still be ok but you'll be in for a longer wait.

I agree. Everything sounds good. Lager means "longer" in beer lingo. So patience is the best beer ingredient for you. A lot of brewers follow the steps, make it perfect, sanitize....if you did all of this by the book.patience throw some of that in, sit and wait 40 days later

I don't know what kind of yeast specifically, it came with the brewer's best vienna lager kit.
It is a lager yeast
I only used one package
I'll keep y'all posted.

The last kolsch I lagered took about 4-5 days before it started to show visible signs of fermentation, and took about 15 full days after that to get to FG. Your batch will be fine!

I've also found that the colder you ferment,the longer it takes to get started,& the less vigorous it'll be. It'll def take longer to finish as well. No worries,just leave it be...

i would check the gravity and if no change i would let it rise to room temp and pitch another pack of dry yeast.

-eastoak, if nothing happens for the next 2 days, that will be the plan.

for now the update is it is 4 days 5 hours later and still nothing. No signs of infection either.....f.y.i

I think the temp is averaging around 47

Back