Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer in my regulator.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bensiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: , Washington, the state
Posts: 4,528
Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Yeah, its pretty easy to get back flow if you aren't paying attention. Good thing is that the regs are pretty easy to clean, really nothing to be scared of like people want you to be. Just unscrew the main cap, clean out the inside and put it back together again. You may have to replace a gasket or o-ring if they are buggered up. Just use this diagram under the "replacement parts" tab:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...2-Battery.html

__________________
Bensiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #12
BillyRaygun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Justin, TX
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

It was a stupid mistake on my part. I wanted to carbonate the beer while conditioning a couple weeks in the keg so I connected the gas line. But I connected the gas to the wrong post. As I was thinking about the force needed to make the connection, I didn't remember it being that hard to connect. So I knew I did something wrong. And being this is only the second time I kegged, I just wasn't familiar enough with my equipment to recognize my mistake at the time.

Getting the connector on the post was harder then normal, but not near as hard as it was to get it off. In the process of trying to disconnect the gas line, I turned off the gas at the tank because my connection was half on, half off due to my situation - gas and beer was spraying out at the connection. At the same time, I forgot to close the valve just before the regulator. So you are right, pressure was higher in the keg. This is why the beer flowed backwards.

I since compared posts more closely trying to familiarize myself more with the force required to connect and disconnect lines from each post. Bottom line, multiple things went wrong and could have easily been avoided if I just slowed down, focused and was more familiar with my equipment.

__________________
BillyRaygun is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bensiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: , Washington, the state
Posts: 4,528
Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Don't worry about it, I think most folks who keg have made this mistake once...kind of like riding a motorcycle, you will drop the bike, sort of a right of passage. Of course, I never dropped a bike while I rode, but I have backflowed a regulator twice to make up for it .

__________________
Bensiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
BillyRaygun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Justin, TX
Posts: 77
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff
Yeah, its pretty easy to get back flow if you aren't paying attention. Good thing is that the regs are pretty easy to clean, really nothing to be scared of like people want you to be. Just unscrew the main cap, clean out the inside and put it back together again. You may have to replace a gasket or o-ring if they are buggered up. Just use this diagram under the "replacement parts" tab:

http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...2-Battery.html
Thanks for the link. I have this exact same regulator, but a single unit. This is a good example of how I disassembled the regulator but without the help of the exploded view. These regulators are a lot less scary then people make them out to be. They are mechanical but if someone isn't intimidated by the mechanics, they can be cleaned easily.

Its good to know i can purchase replacement parts if needed rather than a whole new regulator. I never would have expected that. The positive of all this is that I am much more familiar with my equipment. More so then I probably would have ever thought I would need.
__________________
BillyRaygun is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Bensiff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Bensiff's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: , Washington, the state
Posts: 4,528
Liked 323 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRaygun View Post
The positive of all this is that I am much more familiar with my equipment. More so then I probably would have ever thought I would need.
I'm pretty sure the average brewer was the type of kid who took their dad's drill apart to see how it worked and now they found a hobby that gave them an excuse to tell their wife why they just tore something apart...we still know we are doing it mostly to see how it works
__________________
Bensiff is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #16
sennister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Grant, MN
Posts: 289
Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRaygun View Post
It was a stupid mistake on my part. I wanted to carbonate the beer while conditioning a couple weeks in the keg so I connected the gas line. But I connected the gas to the wrong post. As I was thinking about the force needed to make the connection, I didn't remember it being that hard to connect. So I knew I did something wrong. And being this is only the second time I kegged, I just wasn't familiar enough with my equipment to recognize my mistake at the time.

Getting the connector on the post was harder then normal, but not near as hard as it was to get it off. In the process of trying to disconnect the gas line, I turned off the gas at the tank because my connection was half on, half off due to my situation - gas and beer was spraying out at the connection. At the same time, I forgot to close the valve just before the regulator. So you are right, pressure was higher in the keg. This is why the beer flowed backwards.

I since compared posts more closely trying to familiarize myself more with the force required to connect and disconnect lines from each post. Bottom line, multiple things went wrong and could have easily been avoided if I just slowed down, focused and was more familiar with my equipment.
Ok, thanks for the reply on what happened. I have my first beer in primary now so I have a while before I will be ready to do my first FC so this helps. Not sure if you have ball locks or pin locks but I think for me I will try to remember to pull the pressure relief on the keg before coupling it. I also have a shutoff on my regulator and each of the outputs on my gas distribution block so I have a few places where I can cut the gas flow or prevent a backflow condition. So far I have only worked with commercial kegs so it isn't as easy to do this unless I were to hook up the lines backwards to the coupler.

I had seen rebuild kits (O-rings and diaphragm) and have been thinking about refurbishing a double regulator that I got on an auction. It is old and a little beat up. It would be nice to switch over to this one though so I can run two pressures (conditioning and serving) since I am set up to run 3 taps at once.
__________________
sennister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please!!! Beer in my regulator.... MichaelSterling General Beer Discussion 11 12-11-2012 12:38 AM
Beer in regulator. ATXweirdobrew Bottling/Kegging 6 09-11-2012 01:47 AM
Beer in regulator reshp1 Bottling/Kegging 15 05-19-2011 03:10 AM
Soda Regulator vs. Beer Regulator shildebr Bottling/Kegging 1 03-27-2011 03:26 AM
Beer in Regulator Jsta Porter Bottling/Kegging 7 02-09-2009 10:13 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS