Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer machine?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #21
jethro55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm2151 View Post
Very interesting, seems like it's just a fancy Mr. Beer?
This one is a bit different. It is intended for all functions - wort prep, fermenting, carbonating, and serving. Dry pre-hopped mixes (no boil) are the OEM offering, but any ordinary OG 2.5 gallon recipe can be loaded.

Tank pressure stays at about 5 or so psi after the ferment completes and uses small CO2 cartridges to keep the pressure up after serving some. Small enough to fit in the fridge.

http://youtu.be/_hjrpyygKgE

Civilization begins with Beer !

Primary: nothing in the pipeline at the moment
Secondary: some summer beers are imperative
Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Next Up: Hop farming

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #22
ceezo
Recipes 

So i still have my beer fermenting but when i bottle it and start a new batch it says not tp add more yeast. Is that really true?

Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #23
jethro55
Recipes 

I have not tried that yet. But I read here that lots of guys pitch new batches on top of the previous yeast cake when they do 5 gallon batches. I guess it works!
And you do not need to add more yeast. There is lots of yeast in there afterwards, much more than what you put in there the first time.

I have one here sitting on the kitchen counter that is at day 7 of the ferment. The pressure started rising overnight and it bubbled good for 4 days. I'm gonna leave it there for two more weeks and then put it in the fridge for 2 weeks. That's a similar schedule to the keggers. It might work, it might not.

Let me know how the tasting goes. I bottled the first batch with this machine after one week in the ferment. It was full of green apple flavors until it hit 6 weeks in the bottle....then - kapowie! It was awesome after that!!!

Bottled: Nut Brown, Listermann's Cream Ale, American Pale Ale, Holiday Ale, HopNog, Honey Malt Cream Ale, Irish Stout, English Brown Ale, BIAB English Ale, India Black Ale, Bengal Juice, BIAB Cherry Wheat on the cherries, Belgian Pale Ale, Island Hefe on Mango, Island Hefe on Apricot (and dang -these are awesome beers)

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #24
ceezo
Recipes 

Ok thanx. Is there anything special i need to do for bottling bc mine didnt come with the stuff to bottle

Old 01-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
jethro55
Recipes 

Here's the best instructions that I know of:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html

If you already know how to bottle for standard brewing, it is pretty much the same. You'll need to let off the carbonation pressure so that you can move the beer to a bottling bucket or carboy. That will take an hour or so. Do it slowly so that it doesn't overflow. You might do it the day before. It's pretty hard (and messy) to bottle when the beer is carbonated. You can transfer it to a carboy it will go flat in a day or two and be ready to bottle. A 3 gallon carboy works well.

And that article by Palmer goes a long way to explain things much better.

The Beer Machine is more like "mini-keg" than it is a fermenting bucket, for sure. Bottling is harder than normal since it is already carb'd. The bottling accessory for it does help a lot with bottling the carb'd beer, but it is a handful to use it.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
jethro55
Recipes 

Ceezo - how about an update on that brew you did with your beer machine?

I let the APA mix brew on the kitchen counter for the last three weeks. Into the fridge tonight for some taste trials this weekend. I drew a warm sample into the tasting glass for the first time last night. Taste is pretty fair, hard for me to tell how good until it is cold. It is on the cloudy side and I hope that changes as it cold crashes. Natural carb is very impressive.

bmapa.jpg  

Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
jethro55
Recipes 

Continued.....

After refrigerating for 4 days, the tasting results from 3 tasters (other than myself) had the following to say.
Taster #1. It's good to go and was ready for more.
Taster #2. It's young and should have been aged some more.
Taster #3. Not my favorite. Boozy, flavor is off.

The carbonation after refrigeration was low. I added CO2 pressure each day to try to keep it in the middle blue zone, but each day it would drop to yellow. I'd guess that the relief valve is temperature sensitive and is weaker in the fridge compared to room temperature. At room temperature the relief holds indefinitely in the high blue zone.

The inability to hold pressure in the fridge appears to be a design flaw. Need to come up with a simple way to fix that.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
jethro55
Recipes 

Continued 2...

To review, this Beer Machine APA mix was pitched, allowed to ferment for 19 days at room temperature, then chilled and tasted. It was young at that point, and when chilled the relief valve was not strong enough to hold good carbonation even with continued Co2 cartridge additions twice per day.

I let it ferment/condition for an additional 11 days at room temperature. Worth noting is that the relief valve does work "OK" at room temperature. It maintained pressure at 7 psi for the duration with just one blast from the cartridge.

I filled a growler at room temperature and chilled it for an hour. All carb was lost as it chilled.

Tasting side-by-side with Bud Light as a reference point, this home brew was aged well and without any off flavors. It is on the sweet side, and there is a slight bitter. It is a little too sweet to be a favorite for me, but I think that many would love it. Of course, without carb; things are skewed and it is likely even better when carb'ed.

I'll conclude a few things at this point for the Beer Machine:
1. There is no magic ultra speedy fermentation miracle here
2. The mix made a decent beer after aged for 4 weeks
3. There is a design flaw in the relief valve operation when chilled.

I'll add a feature to fix the relief valve so that it holds pressure when chilled. The next batch for it will be a BIAB APA.

bmapagrowler.jpg  

Old 03-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #29
ceezo
Recipes 

Hey sorry i never got back to u been very busy. Anyway so my first batch came out bad. Idk what went wrong. I just started my second and i dont no why i cant keep the pressure under the red zone.i have tried messing with the rubber seal on the contole velve. I cant figure it out

Old 08-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #30
RhodySeth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Hi all, first post, great site. Like others, I received the infamous Beer Machine for Christmas and once I started to do some research realized that this was not the ideal product for brewing. I found this site and began to scour the threads, looking for any glimmer of hope that this thing might produce a drinkable product.

This thread seemed to provide that hope.

So I'm bumping it in order to share my recent blog post about my Beer Machine adventures. I hope you enjoy laughing at my mistakes. One thing I will say is that just fumbling around with the Beer Machine ignited a passion for home brewing. I now realize that this is something I can actually do and I'm really looking forward to giving it another go with better products.

Have at it if you like: My Beer Machine blog.

Quick Reply