Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Know-Nothing Seeks Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
logan3825
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Extract or all-grain is the big question. I wold have to agree though, getting a variety of hops and specialty grains would probably be a good gift. Just make sure you store them properly until you give them away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #22
johnnyboy1965
Recipes 

Gift cards are very impersonal. If he is already brewing beer he will have all the equipment he needs. You need to get something that you know he will use. ie a bag of 2-row malt or Maris Otter. Or a selection of speciality malts, thats what I would appreciate.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

don't get him grain unless you are sure that he brews all grain (as opposed to extract), and be sure that he owns a mill. if he doesn't own a mill, you can not buy him grain.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Justibone
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

You can buy him a small selection of specialty grains and spices that have long durability and wide use. If he doesn't do all-grain, I'm sure he does partial mash or specialty grains at the absolute minimum (there are no all-extract versions of Hoegaarden, for example, AFAIK).

A spare hydrometer could be nice.

I think a kit would be fine, but if you get a kit you should offer to be his "brew assistant" for that day. If you two are close enough that you like to spend time together, that could be an enjoyable afternoon -- it's more of an "experience" gift than a gift-gift. It has potential, for the right cousin.

A selection of premium import beers from a hoity-toity liquor store would also be keen.

(If my SWMBO reads this, the second and fourth are the best for me. )

Reason: spelling error

Old 12-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #25
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'd ask what he needs, or go better bottle (I know I can always use an extra fermenter). If he kegs, a spare keg would go over well.

You start with a full bag of luck and a empty bag of experience, your goal is to fill the bag of experience before you empty your bag of luck

Old 12-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
VABeerSnob
Recipes 

+1 to the reply from Justibone, especially the part about the premium import beers. From the description you originally gave, your cousin is into all different kinds of beers, and tries to recreate them at home. So you can help expand his horizons.

And in case you haven't figured out what SWMBO means, it is an acronym for "She Who Must Be Obeyed," that is, the wife or significant other.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #27
inmyelement
Recipes 

If he is into kegging, you can get some cool tapper handles in that price range. Many homebrewers are into vintage beer paraphernalia which can readily be found on eBay. You should be able to get some personalized mugs in that price range too. A stein might work too. I would go beer related over beer ingredients/equipment. A much easier decision to make not knowing what he needs.

Old 12-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #28
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

ok, i partially retract my last statement. you could get him several small bags of specialty grains regardless of whether he does extract beer or all grain beer, and he won't need to mill that much for a 5 gallon batch, so he could use a rolling pin to do a pound at a time, or so.

just don't get him a one big sack of 2 row pale malt or marris otter.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 AM   #29
mdwmonster
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I know I always like getting gift cards to the local home brew shop. I would say that typically gift cards are impersonal, but - to me at least - getting me a home brew gift card is way more personal than getting me one to Lowe's or Home Depot or something like that. It at least shows that you know my interests, and I can get something I like - unlike getting $25 worth of mulch.

You know you've used a gift card to buy mulch....I'm not alone here am I?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 AM   #30
benharper13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't understand why everyone is against a gift card. Me personally I'd love a gift card I don't give two sh!ts about thought. I don't expect my gift givers to research I don't need them to buy me stuff I have I would love a gift card I'd be a kid in the candy store

Quick Reply