New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

Where to get supplies really depends on where you live (for me it is cheapest and easiest to mail order, for some the Local Homebrew Shop- LHS is an option).
As for what kind of kit to start with it all depends on what you want to do. A kit can vary from a pre-boiled bag of hopped wort to which you just add water and ferment (the instant ramen of beer brewing) to the ingredients kits (many LHS have their own in-house kits) which include steeping grains, malt extract, various hops, sugars and detailed instructions. All the ingredients to make the extract beer you order. Basically learning to cook with pre-chosen and measured ingredients.
There is a bit more equipment required for the more "difficult" type of kit, but not a lot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #12
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Excellent advise all around. All I can add is to read up as much as you can stand before starting, and to not be intimidated by the idea of making your own beer. With extracts, the process is very straightforward. And remember, there's no stupid questions (only stupid answers )

Old 11-21-2005, 05:25 AM   #13
Thor

Recipes 

My 2c...as a new brewer who started about 2 months ago, I found two suppliers of immense help. One was my local home brew supply house (well, "local" is relative - it's about 45 miles away). It is Home Brew Headquarters in Richardson, TX. FYI, they have mail order via the web (www.homebrewhq.com) and their owner (Kelly) and his guys are extremely helpful and talked to me for a LONG time to walk me through everything. He also participates in our local (north Texas) brewing club. I recommend joining something like that - great people, fun, informative!

Someone else mentioned www.midwestsupplies.com, and I also like them. They are also very helpful - get their number from their website and call them for lots of very useful advice, even with questions when you're not sure of something about a batch. Midwest also has a number of clone kits. Most homebrew stores, like mine, will gladly look up a clone recipe for you and give you the proper ingredients.

Last, and also mentioned earlier: read Palmer's site, and read Joy Of Homebrewing by Papazian (spelling?). When my local store said Papazian's book was a must-buy, I was a little skeptical. I was wrong. It has a lot of great background. Even if you want to stick with simple brewing, it presents some of the science of brewing in understandable terms, has good background on the different beer types, and a fair number of recipes.

Final 2c (so that makes 4c total, I guess ) - take Papazian's advice to heart and relax. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to matters of the kitchen, and not knowing everything there was to know about brewing freaked me out. There are TONS of great advice-givers here and elsewhere, and if you are thorough (not obsessive!) about sanitizing, use good (non-chlorinated, sanitary, good tasting) water, fresh ingredients and keep fermentation temperatures in a decent range (60-75 for ales, closer to 65 is ideal), you will get a beer that you enjoy sharing with friends, the ultimate signal of success in the kitchen.

Or garage. Or shed. Or wherever your spouse tells you to do your brewing!

Enjoy!

-------------
On-deck: an ESB; a Sierra Nevada Porter clone; an Irish Ale
Primary: cleaning
Secondary 1: Summer Wheat
Secondary 2: American Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Lonely
Bottled/Drinking: Heineken clone w/Calif. Ale yeast; Fat Tire clone

Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #14
voodoochild7
Recipes 

I have not been brewing very long very noob like 2 months but I was paranoid to start out on something more than a mr beer or something so even before I started brewing I bought Homebrewing For Dummies and the Papazian book. I read them both almost cover to cover before I started brewing and it was worth it. Following the step by step in the Homebrewing for dummies makes it really easy and the papazian book gives you some piece of mind. Get a bucket, carboy kit and read and research. But then again I'm a noob so this is just the way I went. But my second brew a Pumpkin' ale was a recipe I concocted myself and it's great!!! I owe much thanks to the books.

Chuck

Primary 1: Imperial Stout
Primary 2: Golden Ale
Keg 1: Nothing
Keg 2: Nothing

Quick Reply