Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Nashbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Kits

Hello,
I am happy to be here. I am new to this hobby and trying to learn it all. Basicaly, i want to make my own beer instead of buying the store bought beer, which in my opinion does nt taste good.

I want to buy a beer kit to start with, if that is advisable. The only two i have come across is the "Beermachine" and "Mr.Beer" nambrands. Which one do you suggest? Or are there others you can advise me about? Mr Beer is cheaper but heard bad things about their product, beermachine you don't have to bottle it.

Any advice, sites,links, magazines etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

As always, I recommend reading Palmer's intro Next, do a search on beermachine and "mr beer" on this site. There have been several discussions. I haven't used either, but I've gotten the impression the beermachine is more useful after you move on to kettles, tuns and carboys.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-17-2005, 10:29 PM   #3
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would get the most basic kit for brewing that you can find that includes a couple buckets, airlock, siphoning hoses, hydrometer, and capper. theyre usually 50 bucks and the product is much better than Mr. Beer or the like. then you should start brewing.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Go here: howtobrew

If you can't find a homebrew supply store, see if there are any ubrew places around. They will often sell liquid malt extract in bulk, hops and yeast.

I don't use kits, but I'd try to go with an all malt kit that doesn't tell you to add sugar.

If you red through the above wesite, you'll get an understanding of what needs to be done. I'd then look up a recipe or try one of the ones on his site and use unhopped extract and buy some hops and add them to the boil as directed by the recipe.

I don't like these no boil kits. The beer machine is a small plastic keg that doubles as the fermenter. They are ok for using later as a small minikeg (they are aslo only 2.5 gal)but you really should buy a plastic bucket with lid and airlock and a glass carboy.

For a first attempt you can just use the plastic bucket/lid/airlock to brew a decent batch of beer. You will also need a canning pot or other large pot to boil water and malt in. This is all mentioned in the above site.

A good book is The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing
Good luck and have fun!

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 11-17-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Wow, we all posted at almost the same time. haha

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
Nashbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drengel
i would get the most basic kit for brewing that you can find that includes a couple buckets, airlock, siphoning hoses, hydrometer, and capper. theyre usually 50 bucks and the product is much better than Mr. Beer or the like. then you should start brewing.
Hello,
Thanks for the advice. I always thought making the beer the regular way would be too hard for a newbie like me, so was thinking of getting a Mr. Beer kit. Some people have said the regular way is better. I need to know exactly what i need to get started, also can somebody tell me where i can buy the supplies? I would assume a website somewhere. Also, where do i buy the ingredients like the malt extract, hops etc. I guess the kind of hops i buy depends on what style of beer i want to make. I can get recipes from here right?
Thanks.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Nashbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny's Brew
Go here: howtobrew

If you can't find a homebrew supply store, see if there are any ubrew places around. They will often sell liquid malt extract in bulk, hops and yeast.

I don't use kits, but I'd try to go with an all malt kit that doesn't tell you to add sugar.

If you red through the above wesite, you'll get an understanding of what needs to be done. I'd then look up a recipe or try one of the ones on his site and use unhopped extract and buy some hops and add them to the boil as directed by the recipe.

I don't like these no boil kits. The beer machine is a small plastic keg that doubles as the fermenter. They are ok for using later as a small minikeg (they are aslo only 2.5 gal)but you really should buy a plastic bucket with lid and airlock and a glass carboy.

For a first attempt you can just use the plastic bucket/lid/airlock to brew a decent batch of beer. You will also need a canning pot or other large pot to boil water and malt in. This is all mentioned in the above site.

A good book is The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing
Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for the links.

Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashbrew
Hello,
Thanks for the advice. I always thought making the beer the regular way would be too hard for a newbie like me, so was thinking of getting a Mr. Beer kit. Some people have said the regular way is better. I need to know exactly what i need to get started, also can somebody tell me where i can buy the supplies? I would assume a website somewhere. Also, where do i buy the ingredients like the malt extract, hops etc. I guess the kind of hops i buy depends on what style of beer i want to make. I can get recipes from here right?
Thanks.
Nashbrew, Good advise from all above. I've just started brewing and love it.

My advise is that for your first brew keep it realy simple, you can increase the quality of the brew as your skill and knowledge builds up.

I'd just use a Hopped liquid malt kit and add an unhopped extract (Dry or liquid) Follow the instructions. Give it a week in the fermenter then bottle.
That should give you a drinkable brew in 3 weeks.

If your itching to go, then after your fermenters free do something similar but use some adjuncts (Hops, specialty grain) and let it sit in a secondary fermenter for a week or two before bottling.

to do that you need a largish pan, a fermenting bin with (possibly a spigot), a lid and airlock, a hydrometer is a worth while addition.

That way you can compare the results of the both and see if you think the extra time and cost is worth it. (I think you will)

----------

If you think you are going to stick with it then you will likely upgrade your kit so it may be worth going for a 6.5 gallon glass carboy to start with and a plastic secondary fermenter bin. If you do get a glass secondary the bin will always com in handy anyway.

Last edited by Orfy; 11-18-2005 at 11:29 AM.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

I should have added that roughly, the darker and stronger (alchohol) you make the beer the longer you should age it. So don't try and go for a barley wine on the first attempt unless you are reeeeeeeeeeeealy patient.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #10
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd stay away from the Mr. Beer kit. You can get a complete brewing starter kit from a few places for a price slightly above but comparable to Mr. Beer, but your beer will be tenfold better.

Check out our thread on Homebrew supply sites and try and find a good price. Morebeer, Northern Brewer, Midwest supplies, etc., all have beginner kits for close to or under 100 dollars. It will be everything you need to get started making better beer than you could ever imagine.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply