beer from keg fizzes like a soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I'm on my second homebrew, both served and carbonated using a keg. This second one has almost no head retention, and when poured, the head fizzes vigorously (like when soda is poured into a glass) and the head dissipates very quickly. It doesn't taste overcarboned, seems just about right.

Anyone know what else could be going on?

Temp is 40deg, serving pressure around 12psi. Was force carboned by setting it at 30psi for 24hr, then sat at 12psi for a couple weeks.

How long are your lines? If the lines are under about 6 feet, the co2 can get "knocked out" on the way through, giving you a big foam but little carbonation actually IN the beer.

How long are your lines? If the lines are under about 6 feet, the co2 can get "knocked out" on the way through, giving you a big foam but little carbonation actually IN the beer.

lines are ~10ft...no matter how i pour i can't get much foam, but what is there bubbles a lot and disappears quickly. maybe it just needs a little more time to condition and fully carbonate?

Your beer just doesnt hold a head, adjust for your next brew and add ingrediants for head retention

are they 1/4 or 3/16 lines?

3/16"

My previous beer was fine. I don't think this is because i didn't specifically add anything for head retention, as this does not seem normal. It's not that i have a head and it slowly goes away. It literally fizzes and pops like when you pour a can of sprite into a glass.

I only bottle and I know when you only wait a few days and open one, you get similar results. Maybe it hasn't had time to get the CO2 in solution. How did you carb and how long has it been?

I am fairly new to kegging, but could this be due to overcarbonating during the forced carbing?

I am fairly new to kegging, but could this be due to overcarbonating during the forced carbing?

I guess it's possible, but i did the slow method of force carb'ing, and it doesn't taste over-carbonated.

how long does it take you to pour a pint? it should take a good 30-45 seconds.

try turning your psi down to, oh say 8psi, purge the keg to 8psi (pull safety valve a couple times) and then dispense. any better?

it might be just too much psi and its' rocketing some of the carbonation out, and there's not enough proteins to form a good head.

what was the grainbill on the first batch that was fine?
how about the second batch?

just because you didn't purposely add some 'head retention' malt doesn't mean the recipe did or didn't lend itself to a good head.

Try shutting the gas off (leave it off) and bleed the corny a few times over the next day or so, then put it back on the gas at serving pressure.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried bleeding the keg for a day, back to 10psi serving pressure and still nothing. Oh well, at least it tastes pretty good.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But my recent pumpkin ale is having the exact same issue. When pouring, beer fizzes up, then head dies down almost immediately, very similar to pouring a soda. Beer does seem to be carbonated based on taste and visible bubbles rising from the bottom of a "beer clean" glass. I poured a small sample into a clean jar, shook it up, and head did develop, although only temporarily again.
I brewed this same recipe a year ago (see below, different yeast) and didnt have any issues with head retention.
I carbed by turning PSI up to 30, gently rolling keg for 3 minutes. Let stand for 30 minutes. Vented, and set to 12 PSI for ~1 week at room temp. Then put in the kegerator at 12 psi, and had it in there for about a week at 38 F.
beer line is 3/8 and about 6.5 feet long. Cleaned lines and faucet with oxyclean (and rinsed with H2O) prior to putting this keg on draft.
Have poured plenty of kegs off of this tap/setup without having this issue.
I also used same brewing setup, and clean all of my equipment, kegs, beer lines with oxyclean followed by rinsing with water.

Grain bill:
1 can pumpkin in mash
7.5 lb two row
2.5 lb munich
0.5 lb C-80
0.25 lb C-60
1 tsp pumpkin spice at flameout
1 oz cluster at 60 min
yeast: had to settle for one packet US-05 (a few months past expiration) and one packet nottingham ale yeast. rehydrated and proofed prior to pitching.
Fermented at 70 for 4 weeks in primary. Finished at 1.009

Any ideas on what issue may be? The beer tastes fine, but the fizzing and lack of head retention has me puzzled and takes something away from the beer.
thanks for any help/input.

Back