Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer is hard to messup

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
fernando
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer is hard to messup

Does everyone forget that beer has been around for a long time and that a lot of the sanitation methods of today are fairly recent. I have had some beer that smelled terrible out of the primary and secondary and then after a few weeks aging in the bottle was the best beer I ever had. Being clean makes for a crisper cleaner flavor but as a beginner you should only worry about the basics like did I get alcohol, did it carbonate, and is it reasonably tasting. Heck if it gets you drunk and not make you sick you are off to a good start, everything else will come with time.

Drink because your happy, work because you like it, and sleep because you can't wait for the next day.

-Fernando

Last edited by fernando; 09-08-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Chia
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 29

damn i hope your right!

Whitener Street Brewing Co.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #3
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1453 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 616

I like the enthusiasm, but I wouldn't try and downplay the importance of sanitation. That's like saying that because sterilization techniques are also fairly recent, surgeons should feel free to operate with dirty scalpels.

Yes, beer's been made forever, and much of that without any knowledge of sanitation, or even of yeast. But I suspect that if we tried the beers they brewed, we'd despise most of them.

Infections may be rarer than they seem, however I'm still not going to advocate opening the door for them.

Up Next: Lamebic, Flanders Red, Malt Liquor, Belgian IPA
Primary: English IPA, Spiced Winter Warmer, Brett. C. Old Ale
Secondary: Sour Stout, Brett C. Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Best Bitter
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, English Summer Ale, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
In the "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Does everyone forget that beer has been around for a long time and that a lot of the sanitation methods of today are fairly recent. I have had some beer that smelled terrible out of the primary and secondary and then after a few weeks aging in the bottle was the best beer I ever had.
smelling bad out of the primary isn't because of poor sanitation....

Quote:
Being clean makes for a crisper cleaner flavor but as a beginner you should only worry about the basics like did I get alcohol, did it carbonate, and is it reasonably tasting. Heck if it gets you drunk and not make you sick you are off to a good start, everything else will come with time.
this is just awful advice.

this gets my vote for worst thread of 2011
The man who intoxicates himself on bad whisky is sometimes moved to kill his wife and set his house on fire, but the victim of applejack is capable of blowing up a whole town with dynamite and of reciting original poetry to every surviving inhabitant.

– "A Wicked Beverage," New York Times, April 10, 1894

Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I like the enthusiasm, but I wouldn't try and downplay the importance of sanitation. That's like saying that because sterilization techniques are also fairly recent, surgeons should feel free to operate with dirty scalpels.

Yes, beer's been made forever, and much of that without any knowledge of sanitation, or even of yeast. But I suspect that if we tried the beers they brewed, we'd despise most of them.

Infections may be rarer than they seem, however I'm still not going to advocate opening the door for them.
I agree. Beer was made without even knowing beer was being made. Sanitation was not part of beer making when beer was first found. Yeast was also not cultured for certain types of beer. Sanitation and different yeast strains are what give us a lot of the different style beers we have today.

Yeast are tougher than people think but I wouldn't chance anything. $35 for a basic extract kit, 2 to 3 hours to brew and 3 to 4 weeks in primary...I want that beer coming out as good as it can.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think mild infections are alot more common in homebrew than we know...

Don't downplay cleanliness and sanitation!

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #7
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I agree people can be a little overboard on the sanitation fears, but not for the same reasons. If everything is kept clean, that is more important than sanitation to me. Don't give organisms a place to live and they won't be there in numbers to take over.

Plus many people don't realize chemicals like oxyclean, PBW, B-Brite, etc actually ARE effective sanatizers...just aren't marketed them as such. (Off topic chemistry discussion we can discuss if anyone is interested)

But to be fair I have to point out that even brewers centuries ago weren't negligent on sanitation. Many would begin their brew day by scalding all equipment with steam...which is actually more thorough STERILIZATION than our present chemical sanitation. It is even more sterile than boiling something in water.

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 09-08-2011, 02:00 AM   #8
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Beginners should be primarily concerned with sanitation practices, if nothing else. There's a lot of things that you can screw up in beer making, and your beer will turn out okay. Screw up the sanitation and you're just asking for trouble.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #9
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Does everyone forget that beer has been around for a long time and that a lot of the sanitation methods of today are fairly recent. I have had some beer that smelled terrible out of the primary and secondary and then after a few weeks aging in the bottle was the best beer I ever had. Being clean makes for a crisper cleaner flavor but as a beginner you should only worry about the basics like did I get alcohol, did it carbonate, and is it reasonably tasting. Heck if it gets you drunk and not make you sick you are off to a good start, everything else will come with time.
-Fernando
i disagree completely. the major thing to practice and get used to as a beginner is sanitation. you have that down, you're halfway to being an actual brewer

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I had a Coopers can that I had gotten for free. I really didn't want to brew it so as an experiment I did everything wrong to see what would happen. I didn't sanitize, fermented it in a plastic water cooler bottle, I did put some saran wrap over the opening and held it on with a rubber band and used my well water which I question sometimes. It brewed beer, although not a very good beer. I've had a few bottles of it and in a pinch it's better than nothing. I'm about to dump it now to make room for good beer in my bottles.

Good sanitation practice is pretty important in my opinion.

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Quick Reply