Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer foaming issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
stynkmonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer foaming issue

Hi this is my first post and if this is the wrong place for it mods please move it.

I finished up my first ever batch the other day and now after a couple weeks of sitting in bottles I decided to crack one open. It foamed like a volcano, I lost about 1/2 the bottle due to foam but it tastes really good. Looked like the mentos and diet coke trick.

The beer was an IPA and it was not refrigerated when I opened it. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if something went wrong. Or should I refrigerate it before I open it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4448 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by stynkmonkey View Post
Hi this is my first post and if this is the wrong place for it mods please move it.

I finished up my first ever batch the other day and now after a couple weeks of sitting in bottles I decided to crack one open. It foamed like a volcano, I lost about 1/2 the bottle due to foam but it tastes really good. Looked like the mentos and diet coke trick.

The beer was an IPA and it was not refrigerated when I opened it. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if something went wrong. Or should I refrigerate it before I open it?
It should be refrigerated, preferably at least 24 hours, before opening. The reason is because the co2 created by the minifermentation in the bottle is more readily dissolved into the beer at colder temperatures. At warmer temperatures, it's more likely to cause foaming as you've found.

If you chill one overnight, by tomorrow night it'll be surprisingly different!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It was not referigerated when you opened it, that's more than likely why it gushed. It is a good idea to chill them at least 48 hours, preferably a week...this will help pull the co2 back into solution.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #4
stynkmonkey
Recipes 

Thank you for the quick replies, They are going in the fridge right now. I'm going to test my garage freezer to see how cold it is at it's hottest temp (ie. not freeze) to see if I can use it as a beer fridge.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
stynkmonkey
Recipes 

After 24hrs in the fridge I get this, and it's delicious

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...cator/beer.jpg

Thanks again.

Last edited by stynkmonkey; 04-27-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: image

Quick Reply