Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer flavored water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Mantis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer flavored water

So let me start off by saying that I am brand new to home brewing, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of how it all works and the basic process of it all.

I purchased a BB robust porter kit about 3 weeks ago, brewed it (everything went well), and bottled it after two weeks in the primary.

So I got a little anxious and popped a bottle last night (beer was bottled on Saturday 2/7/09). Two things bothered me....It certainly doesn't look like a porter at all, and it tastes kind of weak, like beer flavored water. It isn't flat though, it does have some carbonation.

Now, my question is this: Does homebrew usually have a very clean aftertaste? Because this stuff has no after taste, it's weird.

And two, why does the beer look like Newcastle?? Is it the recipe or something i'm doing wrong.

Here's a list of ingredients that came with the kit: Yeild 5 Gallons

6.6 lbs Plain Amber Malt Extract
8 oz Crushed Crystal Malt
4 oz Crushed Chocolate Malt
4 oz Crushed Black Patent Malt
1 oz Cluster Hops (Boiling)
1/2 oz Willamette Hops (Finishing)

I steeped the grains for 30 mins at 155 degrees. I can't do full boils because my brew pot isn't big enough, but what i have been doing is boiling with 2 gallons then adding the wort to 3 gallons of water in the fermenter. Sorry if I left anything out, i'm kind of in a hurry (at work).

By the way, I know that all of this could just be a product of my impatience, and I do plan on letting the bottles age for another week before I jump to any real conclusions. Thanks.

Primary: IPA
Primary: Smoked Porter (My first recipe built by me!)
Secondary: Why?
Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

That looks like a fairly simple robust porter recipe, although on the lower end of the style. I would hope you would a have a clean finish, and I would expect the flavors to take a little more time to develop. Five days after bottling is nothing. Give it, at least, a couple more weeks (and probably more like three or four).

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
BruDaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I actually brewed the BB Porter recently and thought it looked very light for a Porter when I racked to secondary. Tasted Ok, but sure didn't look like it ought to. In answer to your question, generally homebrew is very flavorful. Done right it will be about the best beer you'll have. And done wrong it's usually still quite drinkable.

I should be bottling my BB Porter in the next week or so, I'll let you know if I have similar issues with the taste.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

On the color issue, remember that this is a porter, and most porters aren't black and opaque. Yes, there is a current trend to make everything bigger and bigger, but a porter that is true-to-style only has to be as dark as a darker brown ale. I believe it should be darker than Newcastle, though.

I've never brewed a BB kit, so I cannot speak from experience. However, I have heard mixed reviews on them, and I often hear that they are fairy light on the styles.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw View Post
I often hear that they are fairy light on the styles.

TL
That could explain it right there. This is the second BB kit that i've used and I had similar results with the other one I did. That was an American Amber. Same thing as far as the after taste goes, almost none. Still trying to figure out if that is just a characteristic of homebrews themselves, or if it's just a characteristic of the BB kits. Although, I think I just answered that question.

Thanks for the responses thus far!

Bottled: Apfelwein, DeathBrewers Franziskaner Dunkel Clone, Brownie Porter, Patersbier, Nut Brown

Old 02-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
jonbrout
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm curious about the answer to the wateriness. I know it's suppose to form body as it carbs, but really enough to make it not watery?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I made the BB Robust Porter as my second brew almost a year ago, (same exact ingredients), and it was really good. So good in fact that we drank two cases in less than a week. Mine was really dark like a Porter should be. I did a 2.5 gallon boil. I made many "noob" mistakes with this one. I squeezed the hell out of the grains bag, and I fermented it in the low to mid 70's to name a few. I did everything just as you described your process, so I can't figure out what went wrong with yours. The flavor will probably improve, but I can't see how your's is so light in color.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This sounds familiar with my first brew... Give it time.

I tired mine 5-6 days after Kegging... I thought I had made Bud Lite! OH THE HORROR!!!

Now 8 weeks in... it is Awsome.

Give it some time to age, the color seems to darken slightly and the flavors come through with time.

To be honest, like many have said... "Step away from the beer" Time will make it better and you just can't rush a good thing.

3 more weeks and you will have a completely different experience when you try your beer.

Take it from a Noobie, on his 3rd batch. By another Primary and brew again if you need to do something to keep your hands off the beer while it ages.

Cheers

Primary: empty (will be a ture English style beer this w/e)
Secondary: Mack & Jack Clone
Keg1: Alt Bier (8 weeks old and awsome)
Keg2: Heff (4 weeks old and getting better)
Keg3: empty (waiting for M&J)

Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Mantis
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea it's definetly wierd. Ive checked to make sure that i'm not adding too much water or something really n00b like that, and i'm positive that i'm not. You mentioned that you fermented in the low to mid 70's. What would be the ideal temp for fermenting this style of brew?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
MBrusky
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'd get a bigger pot and do full boils. I felt mine had had the same watery taste until I changed, in fact I almost gave up brewing because of it. I know a lot of people say it's fine to add water after the boil, but I could always taste it.

OK, this is cool?

Quick Reply