Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer is flat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Brew2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Beer is flat

After 2wks of condtioning beer has little head and taste a little flat? Should I let sit for another week. This is my first brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Yes. Give it at least another week. If it isn't done there... give it another week. Most people that bottle don't touch them for at least three weeks. It will likely be even longer if you did a big beer (OG higher than like 1.065).

Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
skippa
Recipes 

Thanks Revvy for your explanation, but can I clarify? Will the beer still eventually carbonate when you (I) have under dosed the beer with sugar at bottling. I put a carbonating drop that matched a 330ml bottle, not the 500ml I used.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It will carb, but not to the level that you initially wanted it to.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 348 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippa View Post
Thanks Revvy for your explanation, but can I clarify? Will the beer still eventually carbonate when you (I) have under dosed the beer with sugar at bottling. I put a carbonating drop that matched a 330ml bottle, not the 500ml I used.
It won't reach the same carbonation level as the target. It will carb, but will always seem less carbed than you probably planned.

For the record - I hate carb drops/tabs. Boil a little table sugar in a cup or two of water, dump that in the bottling bucket, rack the beer on otop of it. Voila. Consistent carbonation to the exact vlume of CO2 that you want - use more of less sugar as desired.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Brew2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When I have my bottle filler in the bottle how far should I fill the bottle?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #8
doby
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Close to the top when you remove the filler you will have about 1 inch head space

Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
meltroha
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.
Crap, I just put half the batch of a 7.8% English black ipa with bourbon and oak chips in the refrigerator after two weeks at 70°, If it's flat can I put it back to warm storage? I haven't sampled one because I am on antibiotics for strep throat.

Cheers,
Mel
@melt616

Old 04-11-2013, 02:25 AM   #10
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltroha View Post
Crap, I just put half the batch of a 7.8% English black ipa with bourbon and oak chips in the refrigerator after two weeks at 70°, If it's flat can I put it back to warm storage? I haven't sampled one because I am on antibiotics for strep throat.
Yes. Take it all out and give it another week or two at 70-75*F followed by at least three days fridge time.

Quick Reply