Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer Clone Book Question (re-using yeast from Duvel)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 05:02 PM   #1
BearsWickedBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer Clone Book Question (re-using yeast from Duvel)

So i recently recieved this book as a gift....

Amazon.com: Clone Brews: Homebrew Recipes for 150 Commercial Beers: Tess Szamatulski, Mark Szamatulski: Books

1)I was wondering if anyone has it, or is familiar with it, & whether or not they had good or bad reviews.

2a)I also had a question about the Duvel clone recipe. For yeast, it mentions yeast from Duvel bottle...but it doesn't give any instructions on how to harvest it. Ive seen alot of posts about reharvesting yeast...but I always thought that the yeast was harvested from your fermenter...not your beer....let alone a commercial brew. Which leads me to
2b)Could I just pour a Duvel into unfermented wort & cross my finger for fermentation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

It's one of the best books on clonning out there.....By the second book (I'm not sure which came first) they had developed relationships with the breweries, and actually go a lot of help...They have a good rep in the industry.

Take a listen to this i-view with the authors...it's not about CLone brews, but they talk about it a bit.

Quote:
May 11, 2006 - Hop Varieties and Schedules
Tess and Mark Szamatulski, authors of "Clone Brews" and "Beer Captured" and owners of Maltose Express Homebrew and Wine Supplies in Monroe, Connecticut, help us make sense out of the many varieties of hops and give us tips on when to add them to the boil.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...br05-11-06.mp3
Go by the instructions here for bottle harvesting pac man and you'll be able to grow some duvel from bottles...http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pacm...r-video-63855/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 10-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're not keen on stepping up a duvel slurry:

White Labs - WLP570
Wyeast Laboratories. Belgian Strong Aleâ„¢ 1388

Quick Reply