The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer clean glassware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
cryptonic84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer clean glassware

i know there is a faq or tut or something, i just can't find it. searching glassware is a horrible idea because it comes up with carboys galore. My question is 2fold. first where is there the information for proper glassware for each beer style? Second, what is the best way to go about making your barware "beerclean" for the picture perfect pours? I don't have the crazy brush system so i was wondering if there is something i can do at home to keep my barwear/glasswear beer ready. thanks in advance.

Primary 1: Cream Ale {e} (11/4/09)
Primary 2: Kat's Irish Red {PM} (11/9/09)
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Sanke 1: Empty
Lagering Corny 1: Oktoberfest {e} (10/17/09)
Corny 2: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale {e}(10/24/09)
Corny 3: Empty
Corny 4: Empty

Bottled: Smoked Porter {e}(9/17/09), Black Cherry Ale {e} (10/9/09), Raspberry Heffeweissen {e} (10/17/09)
Planned: MH#9 clone, black cherry ale v2, blonde ale, holiday spiced ale, budlite clone, and edwort's apflewein,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/glassware-143942/

Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I wash my beer glasses with warm water and a dish sponge (no soap), dunk in StarSan and leave them wet for a few minutes, then rinse in water.

A few of them have made it into the dishwasher by mistake, and I haven't noticed any head retention problems or anything with them. But I don't use JetDry in my dishwasher.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Ness
Recipes 

I think I read somewhere you can scrub the inside of the glass with salt to eliminate the effect dish detergent has on the head.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
tincob
Recipes 

I'm planning a brew party with some friends to try my first batch (I'll check myself before the actual day).

I've read that dishwashing liquid will kill the head retention although some of the comments above says otherwise.

How do you guys clean your glassware on a regular basis? Water and starsans would work but I'm wondering if there are better methods.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't have much of an issue with head retention, and I use a dishwasher with no Drying Agents. (I don't run my nice, branded, glasses through, I learned the hard way when my Alaskan Brewing Company logos started coming off).

I've heard something about using vinegar to help aid your head retention, but that's the extent of my knowledge on it.

As far as the proper glassware by style of beer, I use BeerAdvocate.com (Glassware for Beer)

Old 11-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If you only need to wash a few, baking soda works great. Your beer will lace like mad. I never use dish soap on my beer glasses. For a large amount of cleaning, I will fill the sink up and let them soak in a scoop of oxyclean, it works great as well.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

Old 11-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I wash mine in the dishwasher and also have not noticed any effects on the head. Of course, I'm the only one drinking the beer who knows anything about beer. Most of my buddies would prefer no head. They've been conditioned to think foam is a bad thing.

I suppose I haven't gotten to the level of beer snobbery where I need to buy custom cleaners or take extra time with my glassware. If it tastes great...who cares about head? The only way it matters is if you're entering it into comps and in that case...they probably have the glassware covered.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #10
cryptonic84
Recipes 

i do a 2-3 step process now and it has paid off hugely in taste, presentation, and aroma.

first, rinse with HOT water and using a glassware brush i do the first washing with vinegar. after that i rinse well and go to salt, then i rinse and use baking soda. Followed by a GOOD rinse of hot water.

put it on a on the sink dish rack upside down and let air dry. If it has water spots or streaks i redo it. I may be anal about how i do it, but i get great head now, i get awesome presentation, and if i am going to go through the effort of making/buying a well made craft beer with thought put into the flavors then darn it, i want to do everything i can to bring them out! Just my 2 cents. friends call me a snob now, but atleast i enjoy the beer how i want to now.

Quick Reply