Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer in a Champagne bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
fezzersc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer in a Champagne bottle

Can you carbonate beer in a Champagne bottle, if you have the plastic corks and wire to lock it down? I wanted to maybe do one champagne bottle of each brew to save for a later date.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've done them with caps and with corks and cages. Never with plastic corks but I imagine that's work (you'd definitely need the cages there).

When in doubt, fill one up with seltzer water or soda and see if it's still carbed in a couple of months.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

you can do it, but its a major pain. first you have to have a corker that will fit a champagne cork. most wine corkers won't. then you need corks and cages. for 1 bottle of every batch it just doesn't seem worth it. maybe bottle one in a 750ml beer bottle or a 22 oz bommer for similar effect.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems ok to me. I have a few champagne bottles I had filled up with my second beer and it was still fine within a few months. A lot of bottles use them so it should last much longer than just a few months.

It wouldn't be useful for long term aging of course. (5+?)

You may also be able to get bottles that can be capped with an american capper. Those martenlli sparkling juice bottles seem to work for me.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #5
fezzersc
Recipes 

Maybe I'll stick with my 32oz Grolsh type bottle idea for each batch then.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 215 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 102

I've used them with plastic corks and cages and I have also capped them. Either way works, as long as the plastic corks are the right size. Capping is much easier.

Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #7
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have done this several times. I got the bottles that take regular crown caps, and usually use those. I have also used the plastic caps and they were great. You don't need a corker, just a hammer. Put the "cork" in as far as you can, then pound it in gently with a hammer and you're set. I have a 5+ year old barley wine in these. They hold carbonation perfectly. My one gripe is that the corks are hard as heck to get out. It takes some real elbow grease to losen them. I use bails on them, but I'm pretty sure that they're completely unnecessary, just extra insurance I suppose.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1272 View Post
you can do it, but its a major pain. first you have to have a corker that will fit a champagne cork. most wine corkers won't. then you need corks and cages. for 1 bottle of every batch it just doesn't seem worth it. maybe bottle one in a 750ml beer bottle or a 22 oz bommer for similar effect.
The plastic corks are much easier to insert than real champagne corks.

I've used Belgian corks with the Colona capper/corker in both champagne bottles and Belgian bottles.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
srbelow
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

you can put standard beer cap on an American champagne bottle

Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
RugenBrau
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

26 mm for American bottles.....29mm for European champagne bottles. You will need a different bell housing for the two caps.

"Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent"...Revvy

Quick Reply