Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer bubbles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
FensterBos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wait... Force carbed beer has different sized bubbles than bottle carbed beer?
Of course, now I can't find where I've read this.
From my studies, I've read that bottle conditioning creates a finer carbonation where as force carbing creates larger bubbles. I've started kegging and force carbing majority of my brews, but there are some that I will still bottle condition to get a specific carbonation profile I'm looking for.

Fermenting:
15 Gallons of New England Hard Cider - Four yeasts: Ale yeast, two cider yeasts, and a champagne yeast.

Kegged:
Helliday Ale and Chocolate Nitro Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2137 Times on 1529 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

If the bubbles are different sizes it can likely mean the gas is different somehow, or the medium is different somehow. Other things equal.

I can't believe CO2 created by the yeast in the bottle is going to be different from Force Carb CO2 to be noticeable.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Guinness and the nitro gas the use in some of their beer?

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
sentfromspain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, thanks for all the awesome info. I'll shoot for another 2 weeks + 3 days refridgeration

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wait... Force carbed beer has different sized bubbles than bottle carbed beer?
No. Carbonation is carbonation.

I'd leave the bottles in a warm place for another week, then chill one for at least 24 hours (NOT in the freezer for an hour) so that the co2 in the headspace has time to dissolve into the beer well before opening.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2023 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Ok,I'll repeat my mantra once again. 3 weeks at 70F is the average time an average gravity beer takes to carbonate. But conditioning time is a bit slower,by a week or two. So they're best at 4-5 weeks at 70F.
Then,at least one week in the fridge ( I set mine for 47F) for the co2 in the head space to be absorbed by the beer. It's not a quick process in my experience. Also,two weeks in the fridge gives thicker head,& longer lasting carbonation. Not to mention,as soon as the bottled beer cools down overnight,any chill haze possible will show up,& take a couple days of that week to settle.
And the finer bubbles/head is what most breweries/brewers find desirable. Soda pop head & bubbles are generally signes of week,imature carbonation that signals the need for more time at room temp.
Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply