Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > beer brewed 0, brewstands built 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
Jpnaeve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default beer brewed 0, brewstands built 1

Hello all,

I have never in my life brewed a single ounce of beer but i have however built a brewstand, built and modified burners so they are more stable. also i have built my own mash tun. I plan to brew in the near future Please tell me your thoughts and concerns with this sculpture, mash tun, and any thing else that i could improve on or fix before I really get into it. Also this is all I have. I still need to get the rest of the stuff. like plastic buckets and hoses and all that jazz. any help or input on what and how much of that stuff i would need will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
J

2011-11-20_21-07-49_707.jpg   2011-11-20_21-08-07_334.jpg   2011-11-26_14-42-07_530.jpg   2011-11-26_14-42-43_318.jpg   2011-11-20_21-08-34_670.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Skagdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I am not an expert but I think you may want to be able to disassemble the manifold in your mash tun for cleaning purposes. Those manifolds will have lots of sweet, sticky wort flowing through and it's only a matter of time before some or all of the holes are gummed up and you have a stuck sparge. I could be way off, maybe a more experienced brewer will chime in...

That is a nice looking stand, lemme know how it functions, I'm one brew deep and the wife wants me out of the kitchen.......

Old 11-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Your kegs could use a few more holes in them, and the manifold seems to be missing the slits, but you're well on your way to a much nicer brew stand than I have. A couple ball valves, a few feet of silicone tubing, 2 sight glasses, and some thermometers and you're golden.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

IF I were being nit picky, I would think that you may get some channeling with your drain tube attached where it is. I believe you might pull the sweet wort down through the grains right at that point. IF I were to give a suggestion it would be to run a cross piece in the center between the two middle lines and attach a "T" with your drain tube coming off of the "T". No slits or holes in the drain tube or the cross piece. I cannot tell from the pics but keep the manifold away from the edges a bit also to prevent channeling. Like a half inch or more all the way around. Otherwise your stuff looks better than mine.

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

A good place to start would be to replace the galvanized washer in that tun with a stainless one.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE
IF I were being nit picky, I would think that you may get some channeling with your drain tube attached where it is. I believe you might pull the sweet wort down through the grains right at that point. IF I were to give a suggestion it would be to run a cross piece in the center between the two middle lines and attach a "T" with your drain tube coming off of the "T". No slits or holes in the drain tube or the cross piece. I cannot tell from the pics but keep the manifold away from the edges a bit also to prevent channeling. Like a half inch or more all the way around. Otherwise your stuff looks better than mine.
What makes you think he is even fly sparging?

Old 11-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wnee did anyone say they thought he was fly sparging?

Is that thing portable? I dont see wheels on it, and it looks like its got some weight to it. Youre not plannin on running those propane burners in the house, are you?

Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #8
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab
Wnee did anyone say they thought he was fly sparging?

Is that thing portable? I dont see wheels on it, and it looks like its got some weight to it. Youre not plannin on running those propane burners in the house, are you?
It was implied when suggesting that channeling might be an issue...

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 345 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
What makes you think he is even fly sparging?
If he's not, then he wasted a lot of money on all that copper.

If this were my rig, I'd install a sheet of steel below the burner, just to act as a heat shield to protect the wood from catching fire.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #10
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandoLincoln

If he's not, then he wasted a lot of money on all that copper.
While SS braids are, IMO, a better choice for batch/no sparge, copper manifolds aren't really *that* expensive (it's not like 50' of pipe for a chiller), and I've seen plenty of batch spargers decide to go with manifolds.

Quick Reply