Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer bottle label removal

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I soak in hot water (which gets most of the paper) and scrub/re-soak to get the residual glue off.

Why would OxyClean be necessary remove the labels?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #12
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDoc View Post
It seems that the ingredients in OxyClean softens or liquefies the glue. It makes removing the labels and glue super easy. If I soak overnight the labels fall off and the remaining glue just washes off.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Of the few I've tried, just hot water softens the glue too.
I may have to try one of each and see how well it works.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM   #14
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I soak in hot water (which gets most of the paper) and scrub/re-soak to get the residual glue off.

Its not necessary. Just like a car isn't necessary to get from point A to point B. But oxyclean, like a car, eliminates nearly any effort required. After an overnight soak all I have to do is pull the bottles out and rinse. The labels fall off on their own.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
choptop
Recipes 

I think the most stubborn ones I've dealt with so far are Great Lakes Brewing Co bottles. They use some pretty intense glue.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
JayBullen
Recipes 

Used to soak and scrub all my bottles, now just a bath of warm water and a little ammonia and the labels fall right off. Then just wipe off the glue. Haven't tried oxyclean but pretty sure ammonia is cheaper anyway.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #17
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHawman View Post
Its not necessary. Just like a car isn't necessary to get from point A to point B. But oxyclean, like a car, eliminates nearly any effort required. After an overnight soak all I have to do is pull the bottles out and rinse. The labels fall off on their own.
I just meant does the OxyClean really help that much? My labels come off fairly easily even if I soak in hot water for only 30 minutes or so.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #18
DmentD
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I just meant does the OxyClean really help that much? My labels come off fairly easily even if I soak in hot water for only 30 minutes or so.
Yes. OxyClean really does help that much.

When I first started brewing, I cleaned 200+ bottles by soaking them in the bathtub overnight filled with super-hot water. The labels came off ok, some even floated off, but it took some scrubbing with the rough side of a sponge on some to get all the glue off, and on others the glue simply didn't dissolve enough, and I had to use a putty knife to get them off, then finish it with the sponge. It was a pain in the back... quite literally.

I did some homework here, and elsewhere n the web, and OxyClean (specifically OxyClean Free... no chlorine, dyes or perfumes) was the prevailing solution. So, I gave it a try.

Night and day.

While hot water and a little elbow grease did work, and work well, the OxyClean worked so much better. Volumes better. David vs Goliath better! A soak in super-hot water and OxyClean (1 ounce of powder to 5 gallons of water) for 10-20 minutes and the labels were all left on the bottom of the bucket. Even the foil on Negra Modello bottles peeled off easily. A light pass with sponge removed the feebly clinging glue residue from every bottle.

One side benefit I've never heard mentioned was this: quite a lot of the bottles I get come from friends who don't rinse them before putting them to the side for me, and most of them end up with a mold colony clinging to the bottom (dried on, and holding on for dear life). Previously, with hot water and/or soap and a bottle brush, I'd struggle to get these out and would just pitch the bottles that had anything left in them. With the OxyClean, those little mold colonies detach from the glass within 15 seconds of getting wet and float up to the surface. I have had to take a brush to 4 bottles (out of 150 or so) since using Oxy, and have thrown none away.

Can't say for sure, but I think that OxyClean attacks the protein bonds in the mold, and causes them to detach from the glass. The same for the glue on most labels.

So yeah, hot water, a putty knife, a scrubber and some effort will work just fine. OxyClean will work better. Dunno' about you, but I'd rather work smarter than harder, and use that saved time actually enjoying my beer. Better living through modern chemistry. *grins*

Also, did a bit of a comparison between OxyClean and the Sun Oxygen Cleaner knockoff, and found that even at double the strength the knockoff wasn't as effective as regular Oxy. YMMV.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
SoonerDoc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Are you sure?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #20
DmentD
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Are you sure?
I... wait... I'm beginning to think that perhaps, just maybe, I would rather spend countless hours hunched over my sink/tub filled with water alone, putty knife clenched in my waterlogged, now arthritic claw, cursing the gods that inspired some boneheaded clown of a packaging-designer to use water insoluble glue to hold foil -- FOIL! -- to the neck of a pleasingly shaped, and therefore very desirable bottle.

*massages forehead*

Oh. Never mind. The moment has passed. Nope, definitely OxyClean for me. *grins*

Quick Reply