Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beer amount

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
coachrob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer amount

Is it ok to cut a recipe in half to make just 24 beers? I want to try a fruit beer, but I don't know if I'd like to make 5 gallons of it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 2108

Yes lots of folks make smaller batches like that.

Another option for a fruit beer is to make a full batch of your base beer and rack half of it over the fruit in the secondary. Bottle or keg the remaining beer as you would normally.

My wife's book "Uncovering Lives: Discovering One Immigrant Generation's Secrets and Lives of Forgiveness, Grace and Healing"

"People who ask a question want a conversation as much as they want an answer." b-boy

Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Balue
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
Another option for a fruit beer is to make a full batch of your base beer and rack half of it over the fruit in the secondary. Bottle or keg the remaining beer as you would normally.
+1 to this ^^
A lot of times when I want to experiment with post fermentation adds I will rack off a gallon or two to experiment with. Even if I just want to try different dry hopping or something. Perfect way to test something out while still having some known great brew.

It will take you the same time and effort to brew a half batch so why not just do a full. Kind of fun to turn one batch into two or more different results!
: Black Tip Stout, Hopperhead IPA Up next The Blonde that went to India.
Pappers_ Likes This 

Quick Reply