Been searching.... Still not sure or slow fermentation blues.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of ahs midnight stout last week right before I bounced to see famaily for a week. I did not make a starter and I don't think I aerated as well as I should have. It must have been colder in my apartment than I thought it would be. There seemed to be little sign of bubbling while i was gone in my blow off. I know that's not really agood indicator so I took the lid off my bucket to check it out. My fear was There would be no fermentation. There was signs of krausen but only a small ring of it on the sides like my other beers but much much less. It was also bubbling a little so I'm pretty sure the yeast aren't dead just not very active. I started heating my place and am going to see how that goes but I was wondering if i should pick up yeast nutrients or "swirl" the wort or just leave it alone. I've seen these sugestions before but not in a case exactly like mine.... I think. Also if anyone has a cheap DIY keep your wort warm tip.

Don't swirl or fiddle with it too much. What was the room temp? Is the FG in the proper range?

B

Was going to wait to take a gravity reading after I let it warm up a bit. It seems to still be making co2(bubbling in the bucket). I know beers ferment different but there was not even close to the same signs of krausen but I don't have a lot of experience so I don't really know.

Here is the spec sheet for the yeast... http://www.maurivin.com/upload/MAURIBREW ALE TDS.pdf

Unless it was REALLY cold in the room it should be ok. Cool can slow down fermentation but as far as I know will not mess up flavours as opposed to too high of a temp.

Often yeast will be doing its thing with little visible sign of anything. I would not worry or fuss too much and after a few weeks of fermenting you can check the sg.

B

Here is the spec sheet for the yeast... http://www.maurivin.com/upload/MAURIBREW ALE TDS.pdf

Unless it was REALLY cold in the room it should be ok. Cool can slow down fermentation but as far as I know will not mess up flavours as opposed to too high of a temp.

Often yeast will be doing its thing with little visible sign of anything. I would not worry or fuss too much and after a few weeks of fermenting you can check the sg.

B

Word. Thanks. Guess I just needed a little reasurance. I kind of feel like an over bearing parent with yeast now. How embarrassing.

I brewer a dbl Chocolate Stout two weeks ago and it went FAST! I bet 90% of the fermentation was done in 24 hours with not a lot of krausen - Compared to an Amber I brewer a week ago which is STILL bubbling like there is no tomorrow.

As you said - different brews act so differently it's hard to know if there is something wrong. as birvine said - don't worry about it. yeast know what they are doing.

Back