Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale? help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #11
explosivebeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah
I would like to brew a partial mash version of this seemingly mythical beer but have a few questions. When Ed says he pitches the yeast with no hydration or starter does this mean he goes directly into the carboy(don't let it sit in 80 degree for a while) because ive always been told not to do this. It also seems like he doesnt even rack to secondary. Would it hurt to rack to a secondary rather than crash cooling it? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Jah,

That Nottingham yeast is very resilient and will take off without problems. As for racking to secondary, there seems to be a debate about whether or not it's a vital step. Basically, if you want a clear beer, use some whirfloc and do a secondary (if you can get it cold at some point, even better). Otherwise, if you don't mind a little haze, doing a longer primary and skipping secondary is just fine and the effects on the beer are negligible.

This recipe is so easy and solid that you can basically do anything to it, barring sanitation issues, and you're going to come out with a tasty beer.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have one question - since I recently made it with an extract mod, I lost out on the Vienna. What flavor characteristics am I losing out on?

I steeped 1/4lb Carapils with the 1/2lb Crystal 10L just to add a little something to the beer since I was missing the Vienna and had the Carapils left over, but I really don't know what I'm doing

Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitrouStang96
I have one question - since I recently made it with an extract mod, I lost out on the Vienna. What flavor characteristics am I losing out on?

I steeped 1/4lb Carapils with the 1/2lb Crystal 10L just to add a little something to the beer since I was missing the Vienna and had the Carapils left over, but I really don't know what I'm doing
It will be beer. It isn't EdWort's Haus Pale.

Bad n00b, no biscuit.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:

Here's a generally helpful chart on malt charachteristics: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Malts_Chart

Unfortunately, it doesn't say much about Vienna.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The Vienna adds a malty character to the beer. It is lighter and sweeter than Munich though.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #16
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so I should steep more Crystal next time in place of the Vienna, instead of the Carapils...

Old 02-14-2008, 12:50 AM   #17
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Ok, so I should steep more Crystal next time in place of the Vienna, instead of the Carapils...
You should really seek out the Vienna. It works beautifully. You want I should pick some up for you when I go to my LHBS on Saturday? It is only a buck, maybe a buck fifty a pound. Not sure about shipping from Dallas...

Home Brew Mart says they have it. http://www.homebrewmart.com/homebrew-supplies/grain.htm . Here is the map: http://www.homebrewmart.com/directions_maplv.htm

Old 02-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #18
NitrouStang96

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I went there for the supplies to make the batch, but the sign on the bucket said "MASH ONLY" ... Next time I'll get it, but I need to know how much to steep in order to get comparable flavors that you get from mashing.

Quick Reply