New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BB HopNog 2011... Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
SnorkySnacks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BB HopNog 2011... Suggestions?

Has anyone done a HopNog 2011 from BB? If so... what are some suggestions on when to add the experimental hops? I know this is for experimentation so it is really up to me when and how much to add but just looking for some characteristics that may make it better. Any suggeztions are welcomed... thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
PIGMAN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Judging from the name, it may be pretty hoppy already. Is it one of their seasonals?

Primary:
Bottled:
Drinking: RIS, Cream Ale, Dead Ringer IPA, American Amber

Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
danmdevries
Recipes 

The way I did it was one oz at 60 min, 0.5 at 40, 0.5 at 20, 0.5 at 10, 0.5 at 5, 0.5 at knockout. Or close. Didn't weigh, just guessed by relative volume. Think it was 3.5 oz?

No real reasoning behind my choices other than it's an "experimental hop" and the instructions said experiment with it. Well, that and I played with the additions in beersmith but dont really know what I'm doing yet.

I also did a 1oz dry hop at 14day with citra.

I brewed on 10-14, it's still in the carboy. I don't have enough bottles on hand and I can't keg it until I finish off what's in my only ball lock so I can switch to all pin lock. Whichever comes first is the way I'll package it. Can't say anything on flavor, haven't taken a sample since dry hopping.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
danmdevries
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGMAN View Post
Judging from the name, it may be pretty hoppy already. Is it one of their seasonals?

Yup. And this year it was packaged with an "experimental hop" whatever that means.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did the bitter for 60 1 oz at 15. 1 oz at 7. Thursday I'll put 1 oz in primary to dry hop for 10 days, then bottle.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
danmdevries
Recipes 

Kegged yesterday. Sipped today.

It's up there in my top 5 favorite IPA's ever tasted. And it's still kinda green.

Called in an order to LHBS for another.

Don't know if the Citra dryhop is the reason I love it or if it's the kit hops. Very flavorful very aromatic with minimal bitterness and it's not at all overpowering, very drinkable. Even my wife and her sister said they love it.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
SnorkySnacks
Recipes 

Thanks for the info everyone. Brewed on thursday.... airlock is going crazy. I added hops at 40 min, 20 min and 10 min. Cant wait to taste in a few weeks

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
dnva
Recipes 

Just kegged mine yesterday and tried some during transfer. Brewed 2 kits with some extra DME to get 11 gallons and an og of 1.064.

This is the first kit I have done in quite some time but I wanted to see what the hops were like.

Fermented 5.5 Gallons with Wyeast 1056 (fg 1.012) and 5.5 Gallons with the provided Safeale Yeast (fg 1.014).

Was not impressed with either at transfer. Very overwhelmingly Bitter, hardly any flavor an no aroma. The batch fermented with the Safeale also had a very off metallic or rust taste.

My hop schedule was
2 oz of Millennium @ 60min
2 oz Exp @ 5min
3 oz Exp @ 1 min

I am going to dry hop the non Wyeast batch with 1oz of Exp and see how it goes. Made a last minute decision to dry hop the Safeale batch with 2 oz of Centennial to see if I could save it.

Fingers crossed but not expecting much for my trouble.

Quick Reply