New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is the Bayou Classic KAB6 Too Much For A 5 Gallon Kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #1
craft_beer_fan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Is the Bayou Classic KAB6 Too Much For A 5 Gallon Kettle?

Hey there home brewers, I have a question. I am new to home brewing and have only done 3 batches of extract so far. I have been doing all my brewing indoors on the kitchen gas range but my wife is complaining of the smell (although I think it is wonderful) so I decided to move my brewing outside. Today I stopped in at my local home brew supply store and the guy recommended that I get the Bayou Classic KBA6: ( http://bayouclassicdepot.com/kab6-kick-a-banjo-burner-plus.htm ).

Not having done much research I followed his advice when he asked me if I someday plan to do all grain (which I told him I do) so he suggested this burner. My question is this, since I currently only have a 5 gallon (20 quart) stainless steel kettle will this burner be overkill? The box states for pots 14" in diameter and above but measureing my kettle after getting home it is only 12" in diameter. Measuring the burner itself is 10" in diameter. Will I have problems using this with my 5 gallon kettle? I am afraid the 30 PSI regulator and the 210,000+ BTUs will cause me to have problems unless I jump up to a 32+ quart kettle. I mentioned earlier in my conversation to the sales guy that I only have a 5 gallon kettle and he still recommended this to me so I hope I am okay. It was only $25 more ($110 total) than the burner I was looking at which was much smaller so since I was investing the money I wanted to buy something only once that could grow with me when I move to bigger batches and all grain. What do you guys think? Should I take this burner back before I use it and get a smaller burner or should I keep it and just keep the heat down (if possible). Any advice from other home brewers will be much appreciated!

Happy brewing and thanks in advance!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

I can't say I've used the KAB6 for 5 gallon batches, but I use one for 10 gallon batches and I bet you could turn it down to where it would be fine. That said, if you're serious about the 10 gallon batches, keep it.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
malevolent
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You will get a very very angry boil, and potentially scorching if the flames creep up the sides of your kettle. That said, for 5 gallon batches, do yourself a favor and get a 10 gallon kettle. Plenty of head space.

Primary: nothing :(
Secondary: nothing :(
Long Aging: Flanders Red (to be bottled this summer)

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
gmcastil
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolent View Post
You will get a very very angry boil, and potentially scorching if the flames creep up the sides of your kettle. That said, for 5 gallon batches, do yourself a favor and get a 10 gallon kettle. Plenty of head space.
One of the biggest steps I made as a brewer was doing full 5 gallon boils and you really need a 10 gallon kettle to do that.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My kettle and new burner.....overkill?

forumrunner_20120624_083900.jpg

Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Overkill is what we are all about. That looks awesome!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
scottab

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have only a 3 gal pot which i use on the stove. With that said, there is a regulator on the burner you should be able to crank low enough that scorching should not be a problem. Always get the larger size if you can with home brew equipment so you don't need to pay for the same equipment multiple times.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
craft_beer_fan
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottab View Post
I have only a 3 gal pot which i use on the stove. With that said, there is a regulator on the burner you should be able to crank low enough that scorching should not be a problem. Always get the larger size if you can with home brew equipment so you don't need to pay for the same equipment multiple times.
So true! Thing is I just purchased this 5 gallon kettle only 2 months ago because I was afraid a bigger kettle wouldn't do well on my kitchen stove. Now I am moving my brewing outdoors and wishing I had purchased a bigger kettle. I will just try heating up 3 gallons of water and give it a test run to see if I can regulate temperature without any problems. Like any batch of brew, I will need to constantly monitor the boiling wort and temperature.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_beer_fan View Post
My kettle and new burner.....overkill?

Attachment 66153

Hilarious.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
johnbrain
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I've been thinking of upgrading to a banjo burner as well even though I currently only have a 5 gallon pot. On the stove, I can safely boil 4 gallons.

We're you able to dial this down enough?

Quick Reply