Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Batch is done but bottling supplies are not

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
JBDive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Batch is done but bottling supplies are not

Wife bought me one of those Beer Machine beginner kits and all seems well enough, not expecting much anyway. The first batch is ready and I had planned on bottling it as I have no interest in drinking that much beer at one time or taking up half my frig for weeks. The problem is some of my bottling supplies are still in the mail and will be another 2 days maybe 3, thanks Amazon for the 8 day shipping.

Should I go ahead and chill the beer, keep it sealed and at current temp or what while I wait the next couple of days? Afraid chilling will ruin any bottling and produce a flat product.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Many of us leave our beers alone in primary for a month, then bottle. So whatever you do, will be fine. We have found that ignoring the instructions that say a beer is done in "x" days, and opting to leave it sit awhile longer makes for clearer, cleaner tasting beers. A few days, weeks, whatever, won't hurt your beer, and will actually improve your beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1841 Times on 1623 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Just leave it as is till your bottling supplies come in. you'll need to carb & condition the bottles at about 70F for 3-4 weeks anyway in a dark area or in covered boxes. Then put some in the fridge for a week to settle any chill haze & get co2 into solution well. 2 weeks fridge time gives thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 319 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Agreed, let it ride. The only likely consequence is that you'll end up with better beer.

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #5
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Figuring I would screw up this first run in this thing I'm not expecting much anyway. Initial sample today was sweet and had a lager taste to it, not good considering it's supposed to be a Red Ale. I'm not surprised though as the extract was way heavy on the maple side or maybe that's what they were aiming for considering the typical taste of American (none Northwest Coast) beer drinkers. Any place where Bud Lite, Coors Lite, Miller Lite, Natural Lite and I didn't even know they made it, Busch Lite are the in the top 10 selling beers you can't expect much

Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Many of us leave our beers alone in primary for a month, then bottle. So whatever you do, will be fine. We have found that ignoring the instructions that say a beer is done in "x" days, and opting to leave it sit awhile longer makes for clearer, cleaner tasting beers. A few days, weeks, whatever, won't hurt your beer, and will actually improve your beer.
He speaketh the truth....

Last edited by Nuggethead; 01-30-2013 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #7
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Figuring I would screw up this first run in this thing I'm not expecting much anyway. Initial sample today was sweet and had a lager taste to it, not good considering it's supposed to be a Red Ale.
How long have you been fermenting this batch? The sweetness you are tasting may well be unfermented sugars because it's not done yet.

Give it 3 weeks in the fermenter, bottle it, 4 weeks more to carb and condition before you try it.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive
I have no interest in drinking that much beer at one time or taking up half my frig for weeks.
Hahaha

You might have beer, but it's not done yet! You don't drink the 5 gallons out of the bucket! You put it in bottles or kegs to carbonate!

Think you must be missing a page of instructions.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
JBDive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_in_ak View Post
Hahaha

You might have beer, but it's not done yet! You don't drink the 5 gallons out of the bucket! You put it in bottles or kegs to carbonate!

Think you must be missing a page of instructions.
Actually instructions said to give it a swirl around the mouth to confirm the sugars were gone if you suspected fermentation was done. Wasn't expecting "beer", was tasting for proof it was ready to move on.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDive View Post
Actually instructions said to give it a swirl around the mouth to confirm the sugars were gone if you suspected fermentation was done. Wasn't expecting "beer", was tasting for proof it was ready to move on.
If you anticipate that you'll continue to do this hobby, please go ahead and get a hydrometer and sampling tube. That will give you proof that fermentation is finished and let you determine ABV.

The instructions that come with those sorts of kits are sometimes lacking.

Quick Reply