Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Batch #1 in the fermentor and doing well

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
DemonEagle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Batch #1 in the fermentor and doing well

Sunday (yesterday) was my very first brew day, ever. I jumped right into the deep end of the home brewing pool by starting with the all grain brewing method.

I brewed a Dry Irish Stout kit from Northern Brewer and I’m happy to report a mostly un-eventful day. The only issues were, having a boil over with the first attempt at the yeast starter and pouring the stir plate magnet into the fermentor when pitching the yeast (it’s still in there).

I hit all of my temps and gravities almost perfectly. More luck then skill I’m sure.

I started heating strike water at 8:50 in the morning and was pitching yeast at about 1:45 in the afternoon. Add to that about 1-1.5hrs of setup before and cleanup after and it made for a long day but once I saw activity in the fermentor it made it all worth while.

I saw the first activity about 6hrs after pitching. This morning the fermentation looked great. It’s funny how satisfying something so simple can be.

Now I just can’t wait to drink it.

I’d like to say thank you to all of the contributing members of this forum. I've been lurking for a while learning as much as I can and I’m sure it really helped to prepare me for my first brew day.

I'll be doing the Tallgrass Velvet Rooster Pro Series kit this weekend....and the obsession begins.

Pics from the day....

Primary - #1: Empty #2: Empty

Secondary - #1: #002-Velvet Rooster Belgian Tripel #2: Empty #3: Empty

Tap - #1: #001-Dry Irish Stout #2: #003-Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat #3: Southern Tier's Crème Brûlée

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Nice pics.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

First brew, all grain, hit your temps and volumes, and used a yeast starter?! You are lightyears ahead of your average first time brewer my friend. Nicely done!

Don't sweat the yeast starter volcano. Anyone (like me) who uses an erlenmeyer to boil in will have a story (or 10) about doing the same thing.

Enjoy your beer, and keep it up! It's all about repetition and establishing your pipeline.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Quick Reply