Bass Ale Clone SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axwilson18

Reaction score
I just started a Bass Ale Clone and checked the SG just before adding yeast and once the temp was down to about 72. The recipe states that the SG should be about 1.052 but mine was at 1.070. Any ideas what might have gone wrong and how this might effect the outcome? I have it in a fermenting chamber at about 67. Also, the directions say you can bottle it in a week or put it into secondary for another week. Isn't this a little quick? I'm really not in a hurry so would a longer fermenting period help? If so, how long?

1st off... if it is an extract batch with steeping grains, I will assume the high OG is from insufficient mixing. If it is an AG batch, then likely you had really high efficiency. As far as bottling in a week... that is simply insane. Leave it in the primary for at least 10-14 days... preferably, three weeks. Then bottle or keg.

Thanks. It's an extract brew so I must not have mixed it good enough. Will that affect the outcome? Also, I'll leave it in for a couple of weeks then move it to secondary for at least another week or two.

I wouldn't bother with racking to a secondary tank... Just leave it in primary for 2-4 weeks, check the SG to get a FG (confirm the FG) and then bottle/keg it up...

I read something regarding OG readings recently. Its to late now but try cooling off your Hyrdo vessel in cold water or fridge to 60-70 degrees. I have noticed a difference when doing this. I cant sight the post or youtube video where I heard this, sorry....

Anyone else take readings like this?

That's really good to know and I plan to research that. I think my problem this time was being new at this craft, and a little over anxious, and I didn't mix good enough. Hopefully my mistake won't affect the outcome too much but time will tell.

I read something regarding OG readings recently. Its to late now but try cooling off your Hyrdo vessel in cold water or fridge to 60-70 degrees. I have noticed a difference when doing this. I cant sight the post or youtube video where I heard this, sorry....

Anyone else take readings like this?

If you are referring to measuring your gravity readings when the wort is close to 60 degrees, then yes, you would be correct. But there are temperature correction calculations you can make as long as the wort is not too hot (the hotter it gets, the less accurate the correction calculation). However, if the OP took his reading with the wort being to warm, that would cause his reading to be low... not high, like it was. So this is likely not what happened here.

Back