Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Basic Brewing: Low-Tech Lagering and Decoction Mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Basic Brewing: Low-Tech Lagering and Decoction Mashing

Does anyone have this DVD? I am interested in the Low Tech Lagering part. They state they show a home built system with out a chest freezer of fridge. I don't even know what the other thing is to be honest. Is what their showing pretty simple to do?

Bill

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have the DVD. The information is good, but the program itself is very short and could have easily been covered in a podcast. Of course you can't charge people for the podcast.

The low-tech lagering setup is a 10gal cooler that will hold your fermentation bucket. There is a large copper coil, like a wort chiller, and a pond pump in a cooler of ice water. It's been a while since I watched it but as I recall James rigged up a couple of temperature controllers to turn things off and on. The pond pump runs ice water through the copper coil, which sits between the inner wall of the 10gal cooler and the fermentation bucket, and chills the water in the 10gal cooler to lagering temps.

It's an ingenious approach but no easier or cheaper than buying a used dorm fridge and turning the thermostat all the way up. I like the Basic Brewing guys but was a little disappointed in this DVD. Total runtime is about 30 minutes. On the upside, the video production values are very good, and the DVD did inspire me to purchase a pond pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller to cool my wort, which works remarkably well.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 05-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #3
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I have the DVD. The information is good, but the program itself is very short and could have easily been covered in a podcast. Of course you can't charge people for the podcast.

The low-tech lagering setup is a 10gal cooler that will hold your fermentation bucket. There is a large copper coil, like a wort chiller, and a pond pump in a cooler of ice water. It's been a while since I watched it but as I recall James rigged up a couple of temperature controllers to turn things off and on. The pond pump runs ice water through the copper coil, which sits between the inner wall of the 10gal cooler and the fermentation bucket, and chills the water in the 10gal cooler to lagering temps.

It's an ingenious approach but no easier or cheaper than buying a used dorm fridge and turning the thermostat all the way up. I like the Basic Brewing guys but was a little disappointed in this DVD. Total runtime is about 30 minutes. On the upside, the video production values are very good, and the DVD did inspire me to purchase a pond pump to run ice water through my immersion chiller to cool my wort, which works remarkably well.

Chad
Oh, so a dorm fridge will get down low enough to lager? I was under the impression it needed to almost freeze? If that's the case let me know and I'll head to Target this weekend.

Bill

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

are dorm fridges even tall enough? I was under the impression I needed a full sized chest freezer or upright fridge.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
Guildenstern
Recipes 

I just picked up a Sanyo 4910 from a resturaunt auction and a fermenter bucket, a carboy, or 2 cornys fit it fine. Just get one without a freezer box.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

944play has used this method and swears by it. You take an Ice Cube cooler big enough to fit your fermenter and recirc the water between it and a second cooler with a sump type pump on a temperature controller. You don't need the copper coil, you can drill a hole in the fermentation cooler and have a tube return the water to the ice cooler when the pump kicks in causing the level to overflow. I have had some of his lagers from the system and they came out great.

Depending on how my warm temp lager experiment works out, I may or may not build this rig... I'm hoping to be able to produce lagers without the temp controller and extra cooler, though I may be limited in my selection of yeast strains. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/warm...riment-115732/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
Cyclebrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

Anyone have advice on what kind of pump to use? I went to Lowe's and saw a few options, but the only ones that were cheap didn't seem like they would go very high (i.e. have enough force to push the water through lots of tubing). Drilling some holes probably would be better, but I would rather preserve the integrity of the coolers.

On the plus side, I built Misplaced_Canuck's dual stage temperature controller last night, so I am one step closer to building the LTLS.

Cheers!

Quick Reply