Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Basement temp is 66 F. How long should Mr Beer stay in the brewing keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default Basement temp is 66 F. How long should Mr Beer stay in the brewing keg?

Our basement is the only place we can keep our Mr Beer keg. We brewed last weekend and left the keg in a dark part of the basement where the temperature is 65-67 F. Should we wait longer than 14 days to bottle? This will be our first batch of Mr. Beer.

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

it all depends on the yeast's characteristics, but that temperature sounds fine. 14 days should complete the fermentation for most beers. Since you'll be using the plastic bottles, you won't have to worry about bottle bombs - you can burp them if need be.

Good luck on your brew!

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
thrawn86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

consider yourself lucky that you've got a basement at that temperature! some of us have to use buckets of water/ice to cool fermentation...

just remember that 2 weeks is a pretty 'young' beer. should be interesting to see it improve after that.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
jacketsfans
Recipes 

+1 to Thrawn's comments (nice name, BTW). Be sure to let the bottles condition for at least four weeks if you bottle at two weeks' time. This is a hobby that rewards patience.

I am shocked...shocked...to find there is brewing going on here!

@nhlcyclesophist

Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
Minky
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

msa8967,
As to your question of when to bottle, while temperature is one factor, there are other things that can affect the fermentation time. For that reason, there isn't a simple answer to how long your fermentation will take.

No matter what your brewing system, your decision on when to bottle should be answered with the aid of your hydrometer. You should know what final gravity to expect from your recipe, and when you think you have reached the end of fermentation, take a hydrometer reading. If it reads within a few points of the expected final gravity, you're almost there. Wait a few days and take another hydrometer reading. If it is the same as the first reading, you should be good to go. If it has dropped some, it's best to wait a few more days, and test again.

After reaching final gravity, there are all sorts of good reasons to wait a while longer before bottling. During the next couple of weeks, the yeast will absorb diacetyl and other nasties as it settles out, making your beer taste better.

As jacketsfans said "this is a hobby that rewards patience".

Old 05-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the advice. Today (5/24) is day 7 of the fermentation and I think I will give the beer atleast 10 more days before bottling. I waxs not aware of the existence of this forum prior to buying a Mr Beer kit and after reading through so many posts I will be upgrading equipment soon. I would like to have some beer ready for my wedding Juky 25th of this summer. Hope there is enough time left for conditioning.

mick

Old 05-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would recommend (if you have enough patience) to leave it 4 weeks in the primary. The yeast will continue to clean up after their selves after fermentation is complete and they will reward you with some good tasting beer.

In case you haven't seen it, there is a whole section here on Mr. Beer. It is a very informative read (quite lengthy) but worth reading.

Good Luck,

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 76

3 weeks minimum in the primary and you will be better rewarded. It's very difficult with the first brew to wait that long. Hell, it's difficult to wait that long anyway! But honestly, patience pays dividends.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

From what I have read via this site on the Mr Beer threads it seems like wiating 3 weeks to bottle is the way to go. I am anxious to try this product but with the potential yield quality of a Mr Beer product being low after just 1 week it seems easier to wait. I do have a desire to already move up to a more established beer making set of equipment regardless of how Mr Beer turns out.

thanks for everyone's replies...

mick

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 05-24-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Thumper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
From what I have read via this site on the Mr Beer threads it seems like wiating 3 weeks to bottle is the way to go. I am anxious to try this product but with the potential yield quality of a Mr Beer product being low after just 1 week it seems easier to wait. I do have a desire to already move up to a more established beer making set of equipment regardless of how Mr Beer turns out.

thanks for everyone's replies...

mick
Warning,
You are exhibiting signs of turning this hobby into an obsession! If you do then you will truly fit in here!!.

Chisholm Trail Brewery

Quick Reply