Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Barley crusher question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Irena
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Barley crusher question

i want to buy a mill so i can mill my malt but first i want to be sure if it costs because someone told me which i can use meat grinder instead.so i used meat grinder for a small amount of malts.malts was crushed into smaller pieces and it produced more flour than ready crushed malts.i want to know what is the disadvantages of more flour and smaller grain pieces because i read somewhere the grains should be crush into two pieces or so which only can be achieved by barley crusher ? is that right ?
thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/CrushEval

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The main problem with crushing grain until it becomes a flour is that you'll probably get stuck sparges. It depends on your equipment and methods, but everyone is looking for some variation of having the grain split open so that the flour part gets trapped by the grain husks. The cheapest barley crushing mill is a corona mill. The more expensive ones are more convenient, but any will get you good effeciency if used properly.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Irena
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesrose View Post
The main problem with crushing grain until it becomes a flour is that you'll probably get stuck sparges..
What if i use BIAB method instead ? Does the flour passes through the bag ?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 PM   #5
SKMO
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, not to confuse the issue here, but a good grain crusher will strip off and leave the husk (hull) more or less in one piece, and shatter the body of the grain into maybe 6 pieces. And in a pound of grain milling, I would expect a very small handfull of "flour", or fines.

BIAB or traditional lauter-tun can both leave some fines in the wort, but they will settle out and not be a factor long term, in my opinion. So to answer your question I think much of the flour can escape the bag. But virtually all, 100%, of the grain "dust" will settle out in your fermenter if you give it some time.

Quick Reply