Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > The Barley Crusher
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default The Barley Crusher

i just wanted to tell everyone how happy i am with this product.

after getting countless efficiencies in the 60s and countless changes to my mashing procedure, i finally decided to try crushing my grains finer. because my LHBS refused to double crush my grains or tighten their crushing rollers, i finally decided to invest in my own crusher.

i just got done with a brown ale using my Barley Crusher, and after calculating my efficiency off of iBrewMaster and 3 different efficiency calculators, i realized i had an efficiency of 90 percent! i always thought people were lying about their efficiencies this high, but now i'm finally a believer.

the only problem i have now is that with my new OG (i precalculated it at 70%), i didn't add enough IBUs to my beer. oh well, not the worst problem to have

cheers and thanks Barley Crusher

__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #2
tally350z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
tally350z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 1,196
Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I had the same trouble. I went to the HBD and they crushed the grains for me. I have never really paid to much attention to it before, but I am looking into every detail about my brews now and the crush was not very good.Almost terrible. This is going to be my next purchase for sure...

__________________
Toasting Tortoise Brewery
Primary - Smoked Belgium
Secondary - SOUR TORTOISE
Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League
tally350z is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,570
Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08 View Post
i just wanted to tell everyone how happy i am with this product.

after getting countless efficiencies in the 60s and countless changes to my mashing procedure, i finally decided to try crushing my grains finer. because my LHBS refused to double crush my grains or tighten their crushing rollers, i finally decided to invest in my own crusher.

i just got done with a brown ale using my Barley Crusher, and after calculating my efficiency off of iBrewMaster and 3 different efficiency calculators, i realized i had an efficiency of 90 percent! i always thought people were lying about their efficiencies this high, but now i'm finally a believer.

the only problem i have now is that with my new OG (i precalculated it at 70%), i didn't add enough IBUs to my beer. oh well, not the worst problem to have

cheers and thanks Barley Crusher
I love mine too....where do you have your rollers set?
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

i'd probably say around 1:30 for the one next to the crank...and 11:30 for the opposite roller.

__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
I had the same trouble. I went to the HBD and they crushed the grains for me. I have never really paid to much attention to it before, but I am looking into every detail about my brews now and the crush was not very good.Almost terrible. This is going to be my next purchase for sure...
that was one of the main reasons i stopped purchasing products from there. i've come to realize that the home brewing community is very friendly, welcoming, and warm. however, the people at the HBD seem to be more focused on making a quick buck then actually helping the customer improve his or her brewing.

they're also extremely sneaky when giving you grains. i remember i had a recipe that required a pound or so of crystal 60L. when i gave them the grains i needed and they wrote them down, they gave me the impression that they were equipped with crystal 60L. however, when i saw them weighing a pound or so of crystal 45L, i explained to them again that i needed 60L and not 45L. only then did the clerk tell me that they were out of 60L while trying to convince me that 60L was the exact same thing.
__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,570
Liked 260 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski08 View Post
i'd probably say around 1:30 for the one next to the crank...and 11:30 for the opposite roller.
I tightened mine up to about .028" using feeler gauges. I think I am going to condition the grain from now on also.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
helibrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: the library, michigan
Posts: 363
Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I tightened mine up to about .028" using feeler gauges. I think I am going to condition the grain from now on also.
i hear a lot of people do that and get great results with their crush and keeping their hulls in tact.

i can get rice hulls for 25 cents a pound, so i just use those.
__________________
brewski08 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
ScottSingleton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 438
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

I loved my Barley Crusher -- right up until I decided that I needed to adjust the roller to get a slightly better crush. I loosened the two screws on the side as the instructions say, and set my rollers at about .030. When I went to tighten the screws back the free-moving roller fails to move. The only way I can crush now is to have both of those set screws turned out by about two turns; otherwise the free moving roller binds :/ :/

__________________
ScottSingleton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Bookem15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Davenport, Wa
Posts: 221
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I left mine at factory setting and wet mill and I have been getting around 85%

__________________
Bookem15 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
Mikethepoolguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pineville, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 318
Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

Default

I use the factory setting for barley and the tightest setting for wheat and rye.

__________________

Wahoo Hunter

Mikethepoolguy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my barley crusher brewski08 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-19-2012 01:17 PM
Barley Crusher gap? Jayhem Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 03-15-2012 03:02 PM
Barley crusher question Irena Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 02-06-2011 12:40 AM
Barley Crusher, is this one any good? DarkUncle Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 12-27-2010 05:38 PM
Barley crusher OHIOSTEVE Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 04-10-2010 12:32 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS