Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bare minimum?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
MCH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bare minimum?

What's the bare minimum equipment needed for brewing? I've looked at a few kits around and they all come with caps, bottles and a capper, all of which I've already got. So unless there's another kit out there without those, I may have to piece a kit together.

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW--I'm over 2 hours from the nearest Brewing store so most of my purchases, if not all, will come from the internet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Austin Homebrew will adjust the cost of their kits by removing what you already have. Watched them do it in the store the other day. $6.99 flat rate shipping.

[I'm back!]

Old 07-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I think bare minimum depends on how much money you want to spend. My opinion of a bare minimum setup has changed since I started. For me, I would want to have a 6 gallon Better Bottle for my primary, a 5 gallon Better Bottle for secondary (there is much debate on if you even need to do a secondary), an Auto-Siphon, a Bottling Bucket, Bottle Filler, a Bottle Tree and Vinator, and (assuming you're going to start out doing extract batches) a 5 gallon brewpot.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Old 07-06-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2777 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Fermenter, hydrometer, (wine theif or turkey baster and sample tube), bottling bucket, auto siphon...If you have bottles, caps and a capper that is the minimum I would use....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Reno Homebrewer

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I can't believe I forgot the Wine Thief and Hydrometer.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Belgian Dubbel, American Pale Ale, Irish Red Ale (Yeast Fuel experiment), Doppel Bock
Up Next: Brown Ale

Quick Reply