Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Banana Flavor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
OrvilleOrdinary
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Banana Flavor

I've brewed 8 batches to date, and 7 of them have adopted a hint of a banana aroma. Assuming it was just the esters from the yeast, I've made it a point to use different yeast strains to see if I could avoid the banana, but to no avail. I thought it might be a result of fermenting at too high temperatures, so I always keep it a steady 68-72 degrees. But still, banana.

Where does this banana aroma (and flavor!) come from? How do I avoid it?

I guess it's better than cardboard or mediciney off flavors, but still...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What types of beers and what types of yeasts? It seems odd that all beers would have that same flavor, so if you have any data on recipes, etc... we might be able to find a common link.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #3
Anbrew
Recipes 

In my experience, this is almost always caused by high fermentation temps. Ferment the coolest you can with the yeast strains you're using. There's a good chance you wort is somehow getting significantly warmer than the ambient temps.

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #4
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Banana tends to be a Weizen yeast thing.

These weren't wheat beers, were they?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

I think 72 degrees can be too warm. If that's ambient room temperature, the fermentation can cause temperatures to go even higher. What I mean is that fermentation is exothermic- and some have seen they see a 6,7,8, even 10 degree temperature difference in fermenting wort and the air temperature. What that can mean that the room might be 72 degrees, but the wort can be fermenting at more like 80 degrees. I have those cheap stick on thermometers on each fermenter, and while they are not perfectly accurate, they are great for keeping an eye on the actual temperature of the beer/wort as it ferments.

Right now, I have a wine and a beer fermenting at 64 degrees (actual wort temperature).

Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Yooper. I missed that. You definately have to take into account that the wort will ferment warmer than ambient temperature. I've got some off flavors in my IPA, most likely as a result of warmer temps.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:52 AM   #7
OrvilleOrdinary
Recipes 

I think the warmer temp thing may be it... The last batch I did was the first one that didn't have the banana flavor or aroma, and it was the first time I employed the wet T-shirt method to keep the carboy cool.

Thanks! If I ever make a Banana Ale, I'll be sure to purposefully ferment it at a higher temperature. =)

Old 10-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
Christian
Recipes 

I consistently had the same problem when fermenting at any temp over 70. Personally i like the fruity/banana flavor in my wheat beers and my friends request it so i ferment at the higher temps with those types on purpose.

I believe Homer Simpson said it best "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems"

CMAC'S Brewery

Quick Reply