Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > banana chips

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #1
Colorowdy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default banana chips

I plan on making a banana cream ale and I don't want to use a secondary for bananas. I was wondering if I could mash or boil banana chips to impart flavor instead?

Everyone dies. Few truly live.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I suppose you could try adding banana chips to your mash, haven't tried myself though so can't really offer any valid comments, but if you really want a banana flavour coming through in your beer maybe it'd be an idea to use one of the wheat beer yeasts, like WB-06. Ferment at around 72 to 74F for the first couple of days of fermentation and then ramp up ferm temps a bit more from there onwards. That should get you some noticeable banana esters happening.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

For cream ale, try a flavor extract. Prob the best way to get the flavor intensity that u are looking for. If ur gonna use chips u may need to experiment to get the desired flavor.

U just don't wanna go TOO sweet with a cream ale recipe.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 258 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You could put them in your mash like doing a pulpkin ale. Or you could pulp them and add the banana-water post boil.

I pulped three dozen bananas in a mesh bag for a banana mead. I did it at 160F to pasteurize them too. I wore silicone gloves and used a potato masher.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Quick Reply