Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ball Bearing for dry hopping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 AM   #21
Looper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yooper, 11 days ago I brewed the AG version of your 60 minute clone. I just racked onto 1.5ozs of both amarillo and simcoe pellets.

I followed your style, and didn't use any type of strainer/weights.

Will the hop matter eventually settle to the bottom?

(ps the fg bottomed out at 1014, any idea why? I hit the mash temp perfectly and held it for the duration without losing more than a degree)

image-2759159081.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM   #22
bja
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post
(ps the fg bottomed out at 1014, any idea why? I hit the mash temp perfectly and held it for the duration without losing more than a degree)
I don't know.

ps Any idea why my car won't start?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Yooper, 11 days ago I brewed the AG version of your 60 minute clone. I just racked onto 1.5ozs of both amarillo and simcoe pellets.

I followed your style, and didn't use any type of strainer/weights.

Will the hop matter eventually settle to the bottom?

The 1.014 is ok- I bet the beer tastes great and that's the important thing. If it is a bit sweet for you this time, next time just lower your mash temp 2 degrees with the same beer. Everybody's system is a little different, and I usually have a tendency to overattenate so I mash a little higher than some other brewers.

The hop matter probably won't settle. Just start racking in the middle, and then lower the racking cane to avoid the floaties, and then lower the racking cane as the level drops. Eventually the trub and floaties will meet and you'll get almost all of the beer out without any hops debris.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bja View Post
I don't know.

ps Any idea why my car won't start?

No. But I could give you a checklist of things to look for. Is the car in park or neutral? Is your battery dead? Check your sparkplugs, they might be corroded. Is there gas in the tank?

douche

Old 11-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
Looper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
The 1.014 is ok- I bet the beer tastes great and that's the important thing. If it is a bit sweet for you this time, next time just lower your mash temp 2 degrees with the same beer. Everybody's system is a little different, and I usually have a tendency to overattenate so I mash a little higher than some other brewers.

The hop matter probably won't settle. Just start racking in the middle, and then lower the racking cane to avoid the floaties, and then lower the racking cane as the level drops. Eventually the trub and floaties will meet and you'll get almost all of the beer out without any hops debris.
That's great, thanks. I tasted a sample when I was racking to secondary, and it tasted delicious! I can only imagine how good it will be after dry-hopping..

Thanks for the recipe!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
bja
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 79 Posts

Quote:
No. But I could give you a checklist of things to look for. Is the car in park or neutral? Is your battery dead? Check your sparkplugs, they might be corroded. Is there gas in the tank?

Since my post seemed to pass right over your head, let me explain my point. Without any information, some one could write a book full of reasons why your fg stopped at a certain point, just like some one could write a book about why a car won't start.

Quote:
douche
Do you talk this way in public too?

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Dougie63
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

wow, way to hijack a thread....

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 PM   #28
flyhigh
Recipes 

The ball bearing still could be Stainless steel. there is different types of stainless. I know 304 Stainless will turning black in an acid environment. This happens is food Plants with the chemicals they use to wash down the equipment. It does not effect the steel or its sanitary properties. but it makes the machines look crappy. So that part of the reason why people go with 316 stainless steel in food applications.

But I would be surprised if the beer acidic enough in that short time to turn the stainless steel black.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #29
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i'm lucky enough to have a friend that blows glass. he made two big marbles for me. each is bigger than a golf ball, almost as big as a cue ball.

Tap: Centennial IPA (SMASH)
Tap: Dogfish Head Ginger Saison
Bottle: Stone 11th Anniversary Black IPA clone
Secondary: Flemish Brown Sour Ale

Old 01-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #30
Fermental33
Recipes 

I too had a ball bearing turn gray. I'm assuming (after the fact) it was carbon steel rather than stainless. I put it inside a mesh bag with some orange peel for a week during secondary. When I pulled it out, I was horrified. The thing went from shiny silver to dull gray! It was also dripping some pretty bad looking gray water and had a strong metallic smell.
I was a bit worried about the beer so I let it sit for another week hoping it would settle out. I then ran it through a 2 micron filter just to be sure.
In the end, it still had a metallic twang but I drank it for the sake of time and effort.
I don't really have any advice for someone who's having this problem, but I for one will definitely use glass next time! Just because it's shiny, doesn't mean it's stainless!

Quick Reply