Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Baking yeast in a pinch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
justinh85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Baking yeast in a pinch?

Where to start....lets see, everything was going really well until I went to re-hydrate my yeast. It turns out that brewing while enjoying a few too many brews is not wise for one's first batch. Anyways, back to the story: So I am re-hydrating my yeast, and I go to add a little of the extract for my starter. Just then it dawned on me I had not sterilized my extract, so in my panic I throw my starter pot on the stove. A minute or so later, it dawns on me that the yeast can't survive at that temp, so I remove it quickly...hoping to have saved it in time. I let my starter sit for about 45 minutes, and nothing has happened except a few bubbles gathering around the edge of my starter pot. At that point I concluded that my yeast was indeed dead. Being as how it was midnight, I couldn't just dash to the homebrew shop...so I went to Wal-Mart instead. Bought some Fleischman's yeast, made another starter, it has done just fine. My air-lock was bubbling constantly up until today when it slowed down, which is now the 4th day. Still bubbling, just slow. I want to know what effects this will have on my batch, and if I keep it bottled for awhile will that help to clear up any potential off tastes? Noob mistake, I know...should have had more yeast as backups. I have already fixed that mistake. I ordered ingredients for my next batch, and made sure to order several extra packets of yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 03:00 AM   #2
svengoat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh man it's not gonna be right... Stinky yeast..

Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what I'm able to tell, bread yeast won't come out so badly, it's just not ideal since it's been bred for different properties. The possible problems I've seen on looking the issue up are low alcohol tolerance(fine if you're not making a big beer), lots of CO2 production(be careful on the priming sugar when you bottle), and poor flocculation(it's likely to take longer for your beer to clear up.) Past that it might not be the best beer but it shouldn't be bad beer. Still, keeping some spare brewing yeast on hand in the future is a good plan.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
justinh85
Recipes 

Thanks Killer Robot...I had read once on BA that a college student convinced his professor to let him brew 2 batches (one with baking yeast, other with brew yeast) as an experiment. He had heard that baking yeast was no good, but identical recipes (with the exception of the yeast) had consistent gravity readings (within 2 thousandths of a point of each other), and the baking yeast batch had no off flavors. I guess the only thing to do is wait and see...I was tempted after the 1st day to toss it out, but who knows...it might come out just fine.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

1) Break up that wall of text so it's easy on the eyes. :

2)Dont rehydrate your yeast and make a starter. Just rehydrate in water and pitch. In fact they do not like any sugars while they are rehydrating.

Ugh.. Fliechmens...

I think my 73 year old fad siad that is what his dad used back on the praires. Might explain why he will drink anything from BMC to a imperial Stout without batting an eye. In fact he once drank a lambic, made a face, said "tart", then drank the whole thing down.

Well, hopefully this wonlt taste to bad. This one will probbably take a lot of aging.

What kind of beer is it? Some styles might mask the bread yeast bite. Plus I would use some finings to drop the yeast out of suspension.

At the very least you will have some nice prison hooch.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 05-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
justinh85
Recipes 

I was originally shooting for a 5 gallon batch of a Sweetwater 420 clone, but went a little hoppier (extra 1/4oz Cascade hops at the 2 minute mark).

Sorry about the wall of text.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
BlindLemonLars
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinh85 View Post
I was originally shooting for a 5 gallon batch of a Sweetwater 420 clone, but went a little hoppier (extra 1/4oz Cascade hops at the 2 minute mark).
Yikes...I'm pretty sure that Sweetwater isn't pitching Fleischmann's into their APA!

But hey, the past is the past. Don't sweat it, let it ferment out and hope for the best. (And prepare for the worst!) Looking to the future, learn to keep a few packets of US-05 and S-04 around as insurance, they will get you out of a yeast crisis and still produce outstanding beer!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
xcap
Recipes 

Justin--Have read several statements @ what may or may not happen, but no one has confessed that they may have done something similar. Well, I did it w/ a litght amber ale. Nothing horrible happened, also nothing spectacular. It turned out as a pleasant somewhat sweet fruity beer. Friends & SWMBO loved it I did too though not as much as they did, & may try it abain sometime. Good Luck

Old 05-04-2009, 07:03 AM   #9
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any time I've used bread yeast to ferment something it tastes like that thing combined with bread. So I don't use it any more.

Bread, that is. Oh and bread yeast. May as well let it go though, it will probably still be good.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 05-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Brings new meaning to liquid bread.

Fliechmens ale?

Let us know how the ends up.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply