The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad Wyeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Randomnoob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Bad Wyeast?

For the second time I used Wyeast package of yeast. I have been storing it in my fridge for two weeks before hand. The first time everything went fine, packaged swelled up and i saw activity the next morning even though I pitched it a bit too warm.

I got the package out of the fridge around 7:45 yesterday morning, I let it sit on my kitchen counter until 11:00 when I broke the inner packet and shook it to mix the nutrient and stuff. It didn't swell very much. I chilled the wort to under 75 and pitched the yeast at 3:15 in the afternoon. The mfg date is May 6, 2013.

This morning I checked it and there was no krausen. There was a thin layer of bubbles and that was it. Of the first five batches I've brewed, two of them had blowoff the next morning and the other three had a couple inches of krausen the next morning.

Should I give it until tomorrow morning to start doing something? Could it be a problem with sanitation, even though I did sanitize everything the same way I did the first five times I brewed. If nothing happens by tomorrow morning should I go to the LHBS and pick up another package of yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Just relax. It has not even been 24 hours and you are seeing slight bubbles, so it is starting.

Each fermentation is different. Some take off fast other more slowly. Don't worry. In over 120 batches that I have brewed, guess what? Never had one not ferment. Some took a while to get going, but they always ferment out.

You really should learn how to do a starter. That really helps. Makes better beer and fermentation starts up much quicker.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

I hd a wyeast3056 that had the nutrient packets doubled over inside on my latest brew. I tried to smack it,but they were too thick to do it with the usual amount of force. I smacked it harder,& it finally broke open. Packet swelled like crazy in a couple hours. By the time I was ready to pitch it,there was only about 1/3 of the liquid volume left. I then realized those spots on the floor weren't coffee,but liquid yeast. Apparently,they fill them from the bottom,& then seal it up. I'd broken that seal. It took about a day & a half to get going. But it's finishing up now. So relax,it'll get there.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Yeah, without a starter my fermentations typically take 36 hours at least to show visible activity. +1 to the starter idea. Big difference. With a good starter fermentation starts reliably in 12 hours or less.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

+1 for starters. I just brewed a batch yesterday and fermentation took off within an hour of pitching. The longest lag I've had with a starter is 6 hours. There is a sticky at the top of this forum that explains how some yeast can take up to 72 hours to begin fermentation. If you are going to use liquid yeast for majority of your batches I'd learn how to make starters. Also at stirstarters.com you can purchase a stir plate for $40.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Randomnoob
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ok. I thought the whole idea of Wyeast and the inner pack of nutrient was that it was supposed to be a starter and that you really don't need one....

Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 448 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomnoob
Ok. I thought the whole idea of Wyeast and the inner pack of nutrient was that it was supposed to be a starter and that you really don't need one....
Nope, the nutrient pack simply begins giving the yeast some food and to some degree verifies viability.

Starters are created to build the cell count up to proper pitch rate. A standard 1.050 beer will need somewhere in the neighborhood of 200+billion cells. A month old pack will have about 90-95% viability meaning less than 100B cells so without a starter 2 packs would be recommended minimum

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1293

On my 1st of two midwest PM Berlin wheat kits,the og was 1.050 (2nd one too). I pitched the swollen WY3956 Bavarian wheat blend yeast at 5:55pm.
By 8:04pm (2 hours & 9 minutes later),it had the airlock center piece pegged against the cap. By 7:39am the next morning,it started bubbling. I'd say that's a good case for pitching a smack pack straight. Provided it's not a high OG wort. So far,liquid yeast pitched straight into 1.046-1.060 wort start fairly quick.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #9
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomnoob View Post
Nope, the SmackPack is designed to show the yeast's viability and to "wake them up" a bit before pitch.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
BansheeRider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It's also a good idea to throw some yeast nutrient in the starter as well.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Quick Reply