Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad tasting beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
biZurk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bad tasting beer

So i made a batch of hefenwizen and its in its bottling state right now. after being bottled for 7 days i took one of them and threw it in the frig overnight, the next day when i tried it it tasted pretty bad. It is now been 14 days since bottling, and im pretty scared to try another bottle. How much longer should I keep them before giving up? This IS my first batch, and it was a very simple. But it seems like everyone messes up their first batch of beer. Anyway, the color of the beer looks amazing, looks spot on to haywire.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hardly anyone messes up their first batch of beer, they just think they do.
How long was your fermentation? You might as well give us the recipe and the starting and finishing gravity readings if you want an educated response.
You never give up on beer, time is your friend and so is abundant patience.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
biZurk
Recipes 

7lbs. Wheat Malt Extract
8 oz Wheat Malt, milled
8 oz Vienna malt, milled
1 oz Hallertau hop pellets for bittering
Hefeweizen Yeast (White Labs #WLP300 & WLP380

I fermented for 14 days

Targeted :
O.G = 1.046 - 1.048
F.G. = 1.008 - 1.010
ABV = 4.9%

Before pitching = 1.050
Right before bottleing = 1.015

Old 09-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

What is the "pretty bad" taste? Other than low attenuation, I see no glaring problems, you may want to ferment a little longer next time.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
biZurk
Recipes 

Well I couldn't drink it, as in my taste buds rejected it, hah. Since im such a noob at this, theres no way i can explain what the flavor is.. Do you think i should try another one see how its been 1 week since i tried the first one?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:58 AM   #6
COLObrewer
Recipes 

I can't taste through your taste buds, so, next time you do taste it you might have a commercial sample of the same style to sample with it, take notice of the differences between them. Take note of any other flavors, strong or subtle, is it sour, is it sweet, is it carbonated, is there a strong alcoholic bite, is it smooth, etc, etc. This is how we learn. Do the same thing in another week.

Wheat beers usually do not take months to become drinkeable, however I haven't tried any that have not been fermented for 3 weeks min. and bottled for two.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

The idea of a side by side comparison with a commercial example is a good one.
You may also want to check out How to Brew - By John Palmer - Common Off-Flavors which describes most of the common off flavors, and also gives the most likely causes. Perhaps with the descriptions, you could identify the problem.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:05 AM   #8
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biZurk View Post
Well I couldn't drink it, as in my taste buds rejected it, hah. Since im such a noob at this, theres no way i can explain what the flavor is..
I did some searching, but can't find it right now... There's a great "off-taste aid" on this site which gives you an idea of how to explain how your brew tastes. I wanna say YooperBrew posted it recently, but I've been wrong before.

Take a look at these links, which do a pretty good job of teaching you how to explain yourself when talking about off flavors:

Fermentarium.com - "Why does my beer taste bad?" (Part 1) (Part 2) (Part 3)

That, plus the Palmer link above, should give you an idea of how to explain yourself on this site. That chart I'm looking for, though, that has a TON of flavor hints! Can't believe I can't Google it...
Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Reason: Added "Part 3" link.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You drank green beer......at only a week, most people find their beer tastes pretty nasty...I betcha did nothing wrong....ANd even more that if you wait antoher 2-3 weeks when your beer has finished conditioning it will taste great....

I don't recommend anyone stress about any tastes they find until it's even been 6 weeks in the bottle...The beer has a big journey to go through still, it's called bottle conditioning.

I have a pretty detailed blog about this here; Revvy's Blog; Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

After the beer passes a window of at least 3 weeks (since yours is a hefe) but about 6 for stronger ales, THEN if the flavor has not goen away or re-ceeded, THEN we can look to see what caused the off flavor, using a flavor wheel or a chart...but while the beer is green, it can mimic many of those off flavors....except if it is green, they fade away.

You also asked about when you give up on a beer? I say not for several months...read the stories in here and you'll get the idea..http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

But seriously, I bet that in 3 weeks you'll come back and say "Wow, did I jump the gun, this tastes awesome."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
biZurk
Recipes 

Damn guys, I was really taken back by the dedication you all have to this website, and it means a lot that you all took the time to write be back with some great responses. I will research the bad taste and also keep this thread updated within the next few weeks. Hopefully my brew is green!

Quick Reply