The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad Luck With Starters? Give up and triple pitch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Justintoxicated
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
The night before I brew, I place a fruitfly trap in my brew area. Pour some apple cider vinegar in a small jar, add a drop of dish soap, mix, cover with plastic wrap, secure with rubber band. Take a needle and put a few holes in the plastic wrap - large enough for the flies to get in.
Maybe I really should just wait another week to brew. it's going to be 100 again today

Do I need apple cider vinegar specifically?

I refrigerated that starter just to see if it actually generated any yeast. I can see some yeast at the bottom, but it's not sitting at the bottom, more like floating there. But even in that case I would want to decant at least 1.5L right then pour the rest in?

I think I might just have to order more green belt yest for these 2 kits, since it really does seem to be important to this particular beer. But I do wonder how it would come out if I used white labs instead since that is readily available.

Also I could make another starter today but I don't think I would have enough time to cold crash it AND brew tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

If there were fruit flies, it's ruined. Don't use it.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
certaut
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

We had drain flies once and they were everywhere. Thought they were fruit flies so kept nothing out, but the problem persisted.
The flies love garbage disposals and drains but a cup of ammonia in each drain every couple days breaks the cycle and they were gone. I also dump the leftover lye from making Brezeln
A cheap fly trap is a dollar store salt shaker with the holes opened to 1/8" (I used a red hot nail) a little apple juice and soap.

the brewer makes the beer, not the equipment
let the beer tell you when it is finished

Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I found the source of fruit flies, a fishtank with moss.

Anyways, I went to the LHBS and bought some dry malt extract for making another starter. The guy there told me to use an airlock instead of foil, but on this forum everyone says I'd be stupid for doing that? Honestly though I'm thinking I would rather have just an ok starter than throw out another one and have to ship in fresh yeast again.

I bought the rubber stopper from them for the flask which cost me $4 + tax. I guess I will just use that instead of foil? Or at least until I order more stuff from Austin home brew. Then I will be getting one of these
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...oducts_id=2422

Old 08-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2958 Times on 1876 Posts
Likes Given: 2501

Use a foam stopper instead of the foil: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/f...r-46-50mm.html

Don't use a starter that had fruit flies in it. Like Yuri said, acetobacter, plus this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/yell...y-beer-130714/

CO2 attracts bugs. It's a contest you can't win. Use the foam stopper.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Use a foam stopper instead of the foil: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/f...r-46-50mm.html

Don't use a starter that had fruit flies in it. Like Yuri said, acetobacter, plus this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/yell...y-beer-130714/

CO2 attracts bugs. It's a contest you can't win. Use the foam stopper.
Right but I dont have one. So I guess I will use a regular air lock for the starter that is boiling right now? I realize foam is better but my LHBS did not have these, only regular drilled rubber stopper which is what I picked up for $4.

I'm hesitant to try foil only again.

Just finishing my starter, currently wrapped with foil again anyways. I'm not sure it will have enough time though to brew by tomorrow?I guess i could start brewing at 5:00 and that would give it almost 24 hours. is that long enough?

Old 08-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #17
BigSally
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm gonna second the dry yeast idea.I always have a pack of Notty for emergencies and an EC-1118 for stuck fermentations in my fridge.
Guess that doesn't help now though.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #18
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
Just finishing my starter, currently wrapped with foil again anyways. I'm not sure it will have enough time though to brew by tomorrow?I guess i could start brewing at 5:00 and that would give it almost 24 hours. is that long enough?
Since you don't have time to cold crash and decant the spent liquid before pitching, you're going to have to pitch the whole thing (not a big deal). That being the case, it should be ready to go after about 12 hours on the stir plate.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #19
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm too new to the hobby to even pretend to know which dry yeast would be a good substitute, especially for a austinbrew exclusive yeast, that the recipe is based on working with.

Glad to heat it will be ok after 12 hours, how long would it take to cold crash in a chest freezer set to 31 degrees? Maybe I can let it go for 20 hours then cold crash for 4 hours before I brew?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 AM   #20
LLBeanJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I believe the general consensus around here for cold crashing a starter is 24 hours minimum. Personally, I like to go 48 hours if I can spare it. Also, I could be mistaken, but if one is going to cold crash, I believe it's best to let the starter ferment out completely, which generally means 24 hours on the stir plate, then into the fridge for another 24 hours. If pitching the whole starter, which a lot of folks on here do, it's okay to pitch before it has fully fermented, which is where the 12 hours I posted earlier comes from.

For dry yeast, go with Safale US-05 (this is the same strain as Wyeast 1056 & White Labs WP001). Extremely neutral, clean, and versatile. Can be used for pretty much any ale. My guess, after reading the description for Greenbelt, is that they're close relatives to one another.

Quick Reply