Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
WVUbreWer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bad Cider

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=33291

Well after producing a pretty good batch of beer I tried my luck at fermenting apple juice into cider according to the above recipe. Well to make a long story short my batch did not have a positive outcome. I bought some 100 percent apple juice at kroger not from concentrate however I believe it was pasturized (I cant check one of the bottles because Im at work right now). The juice was the most "pure" stuff they had. Well after fermenting for 2 weeks with an initial gravity of 1.5 the final was only like 1.2 and it smelled pretty foul my roomate and I tried some of it and the taste wasnt much better. Oh yeah we used wine yeast and aclimated it to the temperature of the apple juice before adding it. The juice seemed to ferment well for a week then quit. I was just wondering if anybody had a heads up on what we did wrong thanks, Caleb.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1079 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It takes more like a month for it to finish up but it's possible that you just don't like cider. You could have had a contamination in your fermenter. Let it age and finish up a bit. You could try back sweetening with some splenda if you want it sweeter.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
jowens
Recipes 

No help here, but curious why you didn't become a pod-person and go with the ubiquitous apfelwein stuff? I don't know if I'm gonna like the stuff judging by the end of 1 week smell, but heck, it was mentioned so often, I just 'had to be a pepper too'.

Even worse, I'm using a plastic bucket instead of a carboy... I'll let you know how it goes.

Primary - Prehopped Export Stout Kit
Primary - Ed's Apfelwein
Bottled - Amarillo Pale Ale kit from Midwest

Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens
Even worse, I'm using a plastic bucket instead of a carboy... I'll let you know how it goes.

That's what I used, too! But I just got some new carboys off of Craigslist, so I racked it to secondary today.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
No help here, but curious why you didn't become a pod-person and go with the ubiquitous apfelwein stuff? I don't know if I'm gonna like the stuff judging by the end of 1 week smell, but heck, it was mentioned so often, I just 'had to be a pepper too'.
Resistance is Futile!
You will be Apfelweinsimilated!

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #6
WVUbreWer
Recipes 

Quote:
No help here, but curious why you didn't become a pod-person and go with the ubiquitous apfelwein stuff?
thanks for the replies guys. Actually we let it ferment for 2 weeks before trying it according to that recipie I posted earlier. I had a glass yesterday (3 weeks into it) and it was better than last week still nothing to really brag about. I might have to try the apfelwein sometime.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Rook
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the apfelwein is great. I thought 5 gallons was going to be PLENTY. I'm getting ready to make another batch here before too long

Old 08-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Boiling apple juice can set the pectin and give you very odd results.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply