Bad chocolate porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer4life

Reaction score
Brewed my first chocolate porter. Cracked open a bottle to tonight to try the first one and it had no carbonation at all and although the flavor was there it was very weak. It almost reminds me of a bud light with a little flavoring. Something went very wrong. Suggestions as to what could have happened to cause this?

beer4life said:
Brewed my first chocolate porter. Cracked open a bottle to tonight to try the first one and it had no carbonation at all and although the flavor was there it was very weak. It almost reminds me of a bud light with a little flavoring. Something went very wrong. Suggestions as to what could have happened to cause this?

Recipe, temps, and readings? can't tell what's wrong unless we know what you did.

Bottled it for a week. Some things I can think went wrong. Didn't boil long enough. Temp was about 74-75 throughout fermentation. Fermented for two weeks which I feel I long enough but maybe it wasn't.

You need patience. Your beer won't be ready for a while. Let it sit in the bottle for a month. Porters and stouts get better with age.

You need to wait at least three weeks before drinking your beer after bottling. So, it should be flat right now, which would affect the flavor. Also, it might help to know what your recipe was in order to give you some guidance on why it might not have any flavor...

I will post the recipe here in a bit. I have it written down at home. But I used 3/4 priming sugar. I can definitely be more patient but that tidbit is helpful. My last beer only needed a week in bottling condition and it was ready. I wasn't sure about porters. But again I'll post the recipe here within the next couple hours.

I'll start my porter fermenting at ~62 F. and leave it a week then bring it to room temp ~72 degrees and leave it there for another 3 weeks, then bottle. It will be carbonated in a couple of days but won't be ready to drink for another 3 to 6 weeks and then it will be very good.

Alright here it is:

Chocolate Porter
6 lbs light dry malt extract
2 lbs 60 L Crystal, crushed
1/2 lb chocolate malt crushed
1/2 lb caramel pils, crushed
1/2 lb debitterized black barley, crushed
24 tbsp plain cocoa powder, 50 min into boil
.9 oz perle hops, at beginning of boil
1 tsp Irish moss, at 40 min into boil
1 pkg wyeast Scottish ale yeasts
3/4 cup corn sugar

Ok. I only fermented for two weeks but that was my other fear is I didn't let I sit long enough in primary.

With that much extract 2 weeks at that temp should have been enough. What was your OG and FG? Give it a few more weeks. It looks like a good recipe.

Back