Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad Brew Day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #11
Sir Sudster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow! 5 batches in 5 weeks. You are an outlaw. And I thought I was possessed.

Ian, keep the faith buddy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam75
Oh, OK. I've never seen LME in a bag. Hopefully it unscrews itself for ya!
I've used the LME in a bag before. The same brand I believe. The sink full of hot water trick really works. Safer than the boiling pot.
Ian, where is the HBS you go to? I've used White Labs yeast before and it takes about 48 hrs. for my batches to start active frementation also. 2 hrs. from Pendelton is about where I go in Long Beach...

Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM   #13
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith
I've used the LME in a bag before. The same brand I believe. The sink full of hot water trick really works. Safer than the boiling pot.
Ian, where is the HBS you go to? I've used White Labs yeast before and it takes about 48 hrs. for my batches to start active frementation also. 2 hrs. from Pendelton is about where I go in Long Beach...
I get my LME in 11 gallon plastic bottles. It easily pours without warming, and the residue is also to get out - just fill the bottle nearly full with the hot water, shake it for about a minutes, then pour the contents back in the kettle. Voila, all the extract is now out of the plastic bottle and ready to be converted to beer.

Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #14
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

even more reason to make a starter for your beer. it ensures you that your yeast is active and healthy prior to pitching. it's a bummer doing all that work and waiting three days for your yeast to get goin'. too much time for nasties to get a leg up........

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewsmith
The HBS that I've ordered from most recently is in Asheville, NC. I'm in Pendleton, South Carolina (the SC is not for "Southern California" if that's what you were wondering). I was told that White Labs was the best, so I figured that I pitched at too high a temp and killed some of them (around 80 degrees). But, its bubbling nicely now, pretty vigorously.

Quick Reply