Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bad after taste on all brews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Devonb23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bad after taste on all brews

My buddies and I have brewed a couple of simple extract brews and we all have the same problem. All of our beers have this bitter after taste. All the brews have had three weeks of bottling and we don't know if it just takes more time in the bottle or if we screwed up. All information at all helps thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonb23 View Post
My buddies and I have brewed a couple of simple extract brews and we all have the same problem. All of our beers have this bitter after taste. All the brews have had three weeks of bottling and we don't know if it just takes more time in the bottle or if we screwed up. All information at all helps thanks
If it has an off-flavor in the after taste, it could be related to several things. One is water chemistry (especially tap water with chlorine or chloramines), one is a too-high fermentation temperature, and one is using poor quality ingredients/yeast.

Can you give us a run down on one of the brews, recipe and technique, so maybe we can pinpoint something?

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Devonb23
Recipes 

One is a robust porter, basically we used the tap water in our house and the yeast in the kit that we bought. The kit was a brewers best robust porter kit and it seemed like we did the normal procedure

Old 01-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonb23 View Post
One is a robust porter, basically we used the tap water in our house and the yeast in the kit that we bought. The kit was a brewers best robust porter kit and it seemed like we did the normal procedure
Then I'd assume that the tap water has chlorine or chloramines in it, unless you treated for that.

If you chilled the wort to 70 degrees, and then added the yeast and kept the fermenter under 70 degrees the entire time, then it's most likely the water.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
chunk1227
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Has the yeast completely dropped out of solution? Yeast in solution can carry a lot of hop oil increasing bitterness. If the beer is cloudy, stick it in the fridge for 2 weeks and try another bottle.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Devonb23
Recipes 

We fermented from 72 to 74 degrees. 74 at it's highest.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'm picking up on the word "bitterness". What kind of kit did you use? Was it completely extract with added sugars.. or was it a kit where you have grains to steep and add hops? I'm one who doesn't believe chemistry really plays an important part of extract brewing unless the water is all but unfit to drink. So, tell us about this kit.. describe the parts of the kit and what you did as a brewing process. You don't really give us much to go on to this point.

If it's a kit with added hops.. boiling too long can create a lasting bitterness.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Devonb23
Recipes 

We used a brewers best extract kit. It was all LME with added hops during a 60 min partial boil. We fermented at room temp. Our drinking water is good here in Nebraska. I don't know what kind of yeast we used but it kind of tastes like yeast, I think.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1941 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

74F is def too high of a ferment temp. 64-68 or even 70F would've been better. Leave the bottles sit 2 more weeks,& see if they mellow out a little. They may have off flavors you didn't give the yeasties time to clean up in primary. Not to mention,porters & stouts,by & large have some bitterness associated with them from the roasted malts. That's why I'm not a big fan of porter or stout. Till I had the Left Hand Brewing's milk stout last night. So smooth,almost creamy bit of sweetness like iced coffee. Gotta make that one.

Quick Reply