Back away from the brewbucket! (yet another lack'o bubbles thing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmebruce

Reaction score
I know. It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation to start. Frmentation can also start up quick and taper off. And I know I just need to back away from my fermentation bucket and leave it alone!

Brewed up a batch of Cream Ale from extract on Sunday. Boiled almost all of the water. Used about a half gallon from the tap. (I've used up to 2 gallons from the tap with no problems before - but wanted to boil it to get rid of any flouridation/chlorination issues). Hopefully aerated it enough.

Moved the bucket outside and put it in a larger bucket full of cold water to cool it down. Pitched the Nottingham in a glass of luke warm water, then pitched it into the wort after it cooled.

Noticed bubbling about 12-18 hours later. Temps in the room I have the brew bucket in was around 70. Moved the brew bucket into a large cooler and put in a few ice bottles to drop it to 65 degrees.

Not noticing bubbles. I know I'm in the temperature range for Nottingham. Just not sure if I'm seeing a lack of oxygen issue, or if it's just slowed down. Anyway, like the title says - I'll back away from the brewbucket and let the yeast do it's stuff, however slowly it wishes to. It's just very different from the first five or six batches I did, and I expected it to be busy for a bunch of days before slowing down.

You have a good plan there. Just check once in a while to make sure your temps aren't getting too low in the cooler from the ice blocks.

Every fermentation is different and patience will pay off.

To distract yourself, why not get started on your next brew while you wait?
Good luck!:mug:

Back