The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Baby shower beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #21
HemlockHomebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Cool idea for the baby shower brew. Three thoughts:

1. Maybe try to get some Sierra Nevada bottles. They are short and squat and look smaller (even though they hold about the same amount of beer).

2. My wife is pregnant and I just brewed a "Post Partum Ale." I used a lot of ginger in the recipe because as an herb it is an emanagogue (sp?), which means it helps women recover from childbirth.

3. I've been reading a really fascinating book called the Secret Life of Beer: Legends, Lore, and Little Known Facts by Alan D. Eames. I thought this passage was interesting, and I'm going to put it on the label.

"Lasting well into American colonial times, the custom of 'groaning ales' marked the next phase of a wedded woman's career. When the time of a first child's birth was known, the local alewife, or mother-in-law would brew a special high-test beer for the 'the time of the groaning' or childbirth. During labor, the mother-to-be and the midwives would swig from the ale pot to lend all extra strength for the ordeal. . . Old records tell of washing the newborn baby with the ale. The brew was known to be pure and germ-free -- a real plus at a time when water was suspect for anything more than washing your feet" (p. 58).

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2010, 05:07 AM   #22
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, just bottled 24 6.3 oz bottles (baby bottles), 12 22 oz bottles (daddy bottles), and 14 12 oz bottles (mommy bottles) of centennial blond partial mash. now to make labels and hope the carbonate in time - 2 weeks!

Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 AM   #23
jigidyjim
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One last follow up - this was a hit. People thought the 187 ml bottles were "the cutest beer bottles ever!", and people were positive about the beer (centennial blond).

Thanks for all the advice.

Quick Reply